• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P4 Video From Detroit Dream Cruise. Iav Engineer Kody Klindt Talks Engine Details

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
While Kody did mention designing for an undertray I would not count on the undertray being standard equpment just yet. We have asked this question directly to Jerome Vassallo and the answer was that the vehicle was being designed to accommodate an undertray however the final decision on whether it would be standard equipment would be based on MPG testing results. Basically if the vehicle can get the MPG results without an undertray then EM would not need to spend the money to include one as standard equipment.

Either way I am sure people will customize whatever they wish. :)

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While Kody did mention designing for an undertray I would not count on the undertray being standard equpment just yet. We have asked this question directly to Jerome Vassallo and the answer was that the vehicle was being designed to accommodate an undertray however the final decision on whether it would be standard equipment would be based on MPG testing results. Basically if the vehicle can get the MPG results without an undertray then EM would not need to spend the money to include one as standard equipment.

Either way I am sure people will customize whatever they wish. :)

That's good news:)...now I won't have to change my retirement business plan...Making "you name it" add ons for fun and profit for the millions of Elios that'll someday be cruising the highways and byways.;)

Here's a million-dollar idea for you....sun shades for the Elio's oddball windshield size. Gotta keep that plastic dash from cracking!

HeR3tic

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Regarding motorcycle RPMs. HeR3tic, (R3), signifies my ownership of 2007 Triumph Rocket 3. A 2300cc inline 3 cylinder outputting 140 HP, 158 pounds feet at 2400 RPM. A rocket for sure. 65 mph ~2800 RPM. With pistons the size of Viper jugs it probably wont fit and the cost aint what Elio is wanting :( But could you imagine hot footing The Dragon.

ozarkbugg

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Just a comment on the engine durability issue. They are going with a timing chain instead of a belt, for durability. Engine timing belts last 100k miles. They must be planning on getting a lot more than 100k out of the motors? Or they don't want people to have to go thru the hassle of worrying and expense about changing those stupid belts. I'm currently shopping for a car for my college age son. That stupid timing belt is one of my main concerns, as it can cost close to $500 to change that and the water pump. No fun buying a car, and then have that expense also shortly after purchase.

harlan stephens

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I for one think spray bore is a bad idea on a startup company such as this
I have seen this idea work in some aplications and fail in others taking out high dollar motors. It for sure does not work in a harley.

Ask me how I know...plating came off clogged the oil pump. And 10k in motor is no more.
Sleave it.
Its worked for many years....imho

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I for one think spray bore is a bad idea on a startup company such as this
I have seen this idea work in some aplications and fail in others taking out high dollar motors. It for sure does not work in a harley.

Ask me how I know...plating came off clogged the oil pump. And 10k in motor is no more.
Sleave it.
Its worked for many years....imho

Elio doesn't have a motorcycle engine. Other cars have this tech with no issues. Nissan GTR or GT500 Mustang. I think 55HP wont be tearing up the same coating that 500+hp wont.

harlan stephens

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did not work well for bmw or jag eather did it?
Why is ford no longer using spray bore?
How many coted bore motors have you ran?
What are the cons of a long stroke motor? What are the pros to it?
What are the dangers of high compression? Say 11.1 and up?

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did not work well for bmw or jag eather did it?
Why is ford no longer using spray bore?
How many coted bore motors have you ran?
What are the cons of a long stroke motor? What are the pros to it?
What are the dangers of high compression? Say 11.1 and up?

BMW and Jaguar used Nikasil spray not the same as the one Elio will use.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nikasil is an electroplating process that gave a lot of problems in a lot of applications and worked perfectly in others. Porsche used it in a number of racing engines and some street 911 and 911turbo models with no problems. BMW and Jaguar on the other hand it was a disaster. Flame sprayed plasma coating is a completely different procedure using a completely different material and is not remotely similarly to Nikasil. harlon seems to be dead set against anything but steel liners which can have their own set of problems.

Top Bottom