• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P4 Video From Detroit Dream Cruise. Iav Engineer Kody Klindt Talks Engine Details

ajetmech

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I found that when I clicked on the video and it came up with the go to youtube message, if I clicked on the youtube loge at bottom right of the video box it took me right to youtube and started playing the video.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A lot of good info in this vid. Kinda hard to hear with so much background noise but very informative just the same. Redline about what I expected but I was surprised to hear planned cruise RPM to be 1500 to 2000. I knew IAV was tweaking the engine for low end torque but that sounds awfully slow for an engine of this displacement. Good explanation of the switchable tappets and the VVL.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I happened to be visiting back home when the P4 was at the Dream Cruise.

As I was leaving, IAV guy Kody Klindt was talking details about the engine to a small group. Lots of great detailed info about the engine (oil pan, SOHC, EGR, chain drive, variable/Porsche Variocam valve timing, etc) and why they chose to go with those technologies vs others.

youtu.be/fYOjUKS8r5M

Also stuck my phone under the car for some close up video of the suspension, brakes, steering rack, and underbody.

youtu.be/LJNuozCzEuQ

I couldn't not get in line to try it on and see for myself.

youtu.be/_TK4AqPyqDE

youtu.be/rSmyfEGeheA
Thanks for sharing those, Tao. The first time I tried to look at them I couldn't get them to play but I had no problem today. :-) Z

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Life cycle? Unless there's some hidden mechanical glitch the engine life cycle will be as long as you properly maintain it. I've read here on this very forum that for $6800 the engine should be considered disposable. If you treat it as disposable it will be. With proper maintenance and respect the engine will last longer than many of us on this forum will.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Life cycle? Unless there's some hidden mechanical glitch the engine life cycle will be as long as you properly maintain it.

even with the best of care, given sufficient use over time, anything man made will eventually wear out .... granted, parts can be replaced but sooner or later the cost exceeds the value

Jim

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Exactly my point jim. The real question isn't how long will it last but how long can you afford to maintain it. While you're right anything man made is going to eventually wear out proper engineering can move that eventuality far down the road. Anything that can be built can be rebuilt. Even engines that have had catastrophic failures can be brought back to life with enough tender loving care and money. (mostly money) 200k, 300k of normal wear & tear is a piece of cake.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Life cycle? Unless there's some hidden mechanical glitch the engine life cycle will be as long as you properly maintain it. I've read here on this very forum that for $6800 the engine should be considered disposable. If you treat it as disposable it will be. With proper maintenance and respect the engine will last longer than many of us on this forum will.
Considering the average age of the group, you may well be right. :p :rolleyes: :) Z

Top Bottom