• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P4 Video From Detroit Dream Cruise. Iav Engineer Kody Klindt Talks Engine Details

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the idea of a motorcycle that can be operated in all weather conditions were my initial reasons for wanting one...
Isn't that just a car? The only practical difference between the Elio and the old Honda Insight is the Elio has one less wheel. Why the distinction between "all weather motorcycle" and "car"?

(BTW, I don't mind at all the "motorcyle" legal classification is bringing motorcycle enthusiasts to the Elio!)

P.S. A mod moved this while I was posting. It may be a vid from the dream cruise, but the question doesn't really have anything to do with the dream cruise. I'm not sure it was a good move.

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Isn't that just a car? The only practical difference between the Elio and the old Honda Insight is the Elio has one less wheel. Why the distinction between "all weather motorcycle" and "car"?

(BTW, I don't mind at all the "motorcyle" legal classification is bringing motorcycle enthusiasts to the Elio!)

P.S. A mod moved this while I was posting. It may be a vid from the dream cruise, but the question doesn't really have anything to do with the dream cruise. I'm not sure it was a good move.

I don't really disagree. I too think the Elio is more car than motorcycle, but it's the three wheel/enclosed passenger/tandem seat design that makes it so unique. Being light weight and a reverse trike design means it should handle well, making it fun to drive as well as being practical....

ClubJoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just watched a YouTube presentation done by IAV Engineer Kody Klindt. He mentions that the exhaust will run along the right side of the Elio. This worries me since I had planned on attaching a side fold down luggage rack to carry my disability scooter. I had planned on attaching it to the framework underneath. I will have to wait to see the final design.
He also mentions that the air compressor will be mounted on the motor using one continuous belt driving alternator and such. So that probably is the compressor in the photos.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon, FL

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I just watched a YouTube presentation done by IAV Engineer Kody Klindt. He mentions that the exhaust will run along the right side of the Elio. This worries me since I had planned on attaching a side fold down luggage rack to carry my disability scooter. I had planned on attaching it to the framework underneath. I will have to wait to see the final design.
He also mentions that the air compressor will be mounted on the motor using one continuous belt driving alternator and such. So that probably is the compressor in the photos.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon, FL

We had this clarified after the video was made. It is not an external side pipe but instead will be inside the frame rails but running along that side of the vehicle. The vehicle is being designed for a full underbody pan so everything will be tucked up nicely.

You may have to make sure you scooter carrier does not block the exhaust outlet however other than that you should be able to mount it to the frame on that side.

Top Bottom