• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P4 Video From Detroit Dream Cruise. Iav Engineer Kody Klindt Talks Engine Details

harlan stephens

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Whats the problem woth iron liners?
Bmw and jag went back to them.
Also come rebuild time . Any machinest
Can bore and get you going again.
Not so with any type plated bore.

Spray bore is hardly off the shelf nor proven. And so far hit and miss.

And iron liner is both.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well it has been decided. Its what it will have. so I guess harlan wont be buying one. I could care less either way (liner v spray) but it seems like an adequate solution given the power output of the engine. If it does become a problem oh well it will rectify its self in due course.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pressed in liners sometimes work loose (corrosion I suspect). Of course this pretty much junks out the engine. I had it happen on a Honda 450 Rebel engine. One sleeve was protruding 1/4" from the top of the cylinder deck. It had gone through the head gasket and buried itself 1/4" in the head. What s mess! Engine only had 9000 miles on it too. So nothing is fool proof and 100% reliable 100% of the time.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Again I ask why people join this forum if they do not support the Elio design concepts. They should move on to another forum if they can't accept the reality of the Elio design team. They will never have enough influence or power to change the current design. The solution is easy, If you don't like the Elio don't buy it.

harlan stephens

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You incorrectly asume I dont like the elio...
Care to try again?

And I like the idea of iron liners like the ones inside of the only running working elio...lol

Yall crack me up.

Last edited:

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And elio p4 runs one what?
And old iron bore mule with 90k miles?
Considering it is a prototype, yup that's the engine they put in it. I think this whole conversation is similar to that of the notorious dash mishmash that drug on for so long. They aren't going to use an iron lined sleve. It is a technology used successfully in other engines but not planned in this application. So, I think that you can go ahead and favor ILS technology but as far as continuing to beat a dead horse (the engineers have designed what they have designed, a little too late to rail and petition for something else), let the creature rest in peace, bury it and move along. Nothing more to see here. Move along.

harlan stephens

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You seem to know a great deal about a motor not even built yet with no Info availble other than a rough casting.
Not one elio motor running yet...

Sir I think you assume a great deal.
Yep nothing to see here....yet....waiting......tapping fingers.....lol

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You seem to know a great deal about a motor not even built yet with no Info availble other than a rough casting.
Not one elio motor running yet...

Sir I think you assume a great deal.
Yep nothing to see here....yet....waiting......tapping fingers.....lol
Look, all I'm saying is, you are more than free to hold your own opinion on the type of motor you would like in the Elio. That's fine, go ahead and hold that opinion. Continuing to rail on does you no favors, it's like trying to teach a pig to sing. It bothers the pig and wastes your time. So, rest assured that the iron sleeve technology is the best solution to the engine conundrum and leave it at that.

As far as assuming or knowing a great deal about the engine, I don't. I just simply know that continuing to harp on a subject accomplishes little. Unless you are part of the design team.

Top Bottom