• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P4 Video From Detroit Dream Cruise. Iav Engineer Kody Klindt Talks Engine Details

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Anything that can be built can be rebuilt. Even engines that have had catastrophic failures can be brought back to life with enough tender loving care and money. (mostly money) 200k, 300k of normal wear & tear is a piece of cake.

rebuilding blocks made from cast iron and aluminum blocks with steel sleeves has been done for years .... I can't help but wonder how or if an aluminum block with sprayed cylinder walls (a practice which is a foreign concept to me o_O ) can be rebuilt

Jim

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
rebuilding blocks made from cast iron and aluminum blocks with steel sleeves has been done for years .... I can't help but wonder how or if an aluminum block with sprayed cylinder walls (a practice which is a foreign concept to me o_O ) can be rebuilt

Jim
I will preface my statement with an admission that I know absolutely nothing about engines. It is possible this technique and design means it won't ever need to be rebuilt. Just a thought. :-) Z

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The same way aircraft cylinders are rebuilt. The coating is stripped, cylinder bored and coating reapplied. This technology is the future for piston engines (not just Elio). I'm sure in a few years your local machine shop can have your cylinders bored, recoated, honed to size and outfitted with oversized pistons and rings for a fraction of the cost of a new engine or even a new short block for that matter.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The same way aircraft cylinders are rebuilt. The coating is stripped, cylinder bored and coating reapplied. This technology is the future for piston engines (not just Elio). I'm sure in a few years your local machine shop can have your cylinders bored, recoated, honed to size and outfitted with oversized pistons and rings for a fraction of the cost of a new engine or even a new short block for that matter.

interesting .... my knowledge of motor technology is beyond dated

Jim

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aircraft engine parts are very expensive so if there is any possible way to repair worn or damaged parts aircraft engine shops have been doing it for 50 years. Plating, plasma, puddle welding and machining, tempering and heat treating, stress relieving, aviation guys have doing for years. If it can be built it can be rebuilt.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is not really what you are thinking but I am sure you could make it a more traditional side pipe. The fuel tank is under the passenger seat so routing the exhaust around that to the back would have been more expensive so the muffler is located under the passenger footwell and the exhaust exits in that area on the right side. We have photos and discussion about this on this thread:

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/muffler-location.1416/

I take it differently. Kody distinctly points out the 'Vette side pipes. As you, among others in the thread you linked (which shows nothing but the P4 exhaust) note, underbody space is at a premium. Adding the undertray (mentioned in the video, so I'm thinking it may be a done deal) makes it worse, and traps all the exhaust heat between the tray and the floorboards. It makes perfect sense to shoot it out the right side, cover if if need be for aero purposes.

Guess we just wait and see where the P5 exhaust runs.

On another thread somewhere, I mentioned that a chrome side pipe would be my choice - maybe I'll get it factory!

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I take it differently. Kody distinctly points out the 'Vette side pipes. As you, among others in the thread you linked (which shows nothing but the P4 exhaust) note, underbody space is at a premium. Adding the undertray (mentioned in the video, so I'm thinking it may be a done deal) makes it worse, and traps all the exhaust heat between the tray and the floorboards. It makes perfect sense to shoot it out the right side, cover if if need be for aero purposes.

Guess we just wait and see where the P5 exhaust runs.

On another thread somewhere, I mentioned that a chrome side pipe would be my choice - maybe I'll get it factory!

That's how I took it, Corvette style side pipe. He also mentioned totally smooth belly (belly panned). I could see coming out behind the r/h front suspension, and running it down the side. Would look cool, and could be made very aerodynamic if done right. If the P5/E0 doesn't have one from the factory, mine might have one within a year. :D

Top Bottom