• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone Ask About Interior Noise?

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As to motorcycle helmets, in winters in the Texas Panhandle I'd wrap a towel around my neck and tuck it into my leather jacket, leaving one end free to stuff under my chin and into the bubble shield (long before full-face helmets). The leakage around the snap-on shield whistled a bit at highway speed, so I taped it up. OOPS! Without ventilation, the shield fogged up almost immediately, making for an interesting bit of one-hand driving while I tried to yank that towel out of the shield and clear my visor. No, I found they leaked for a reason. :eek:

As to soundproofing, you can go overboard (!) with that too, as I proved on my boat. Spoiled by the quiet of my new Suburban, I decided to remove the engine box from my 24' cruiser and line it with 2" fiberglass insulation secured by hardware cloth. It worked great, as I lined not only the box, but the transom and stiffeners that ran from the box to the transom. I did a little too well. First, I discovered I couldn't tell if the bilge blower was running . . . so I installed a pilot light. My bilge sniffer/alarm worked fine in the event of a gas leak, but I had to know I'd exchanged the air in the bilge properly.

Then I turned the key . . . I could barely hear the starter, but I couldn't hear that 351 Ford catch and run AT ALL. Well, I learned to open the "sniff port" at the front of the engine box, normally used to smell for the distinctive odor of gasoline, but now with all my fine "re-engineering", reduced to the role of admitting the noise of the idling engine to the cockpit when starting. In open water this was especially necessary because the slap of waves against the hull would totally mask the soft burble of the underwater exhaust.

A bit of a pain at dockside, but it was really quiet underway. Of course if you wanted a little noise, you could firewall the throttle and trim out the outdrive to get the exhaust closer to the surface and steer with the trim tabs. It cost a LOT of fuel, but it put on a nice show with the racket and rooster tail.

I've promised not to be so irresponsible with the Elio. :rolleyes:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have driven most of the length of I-5 in Oregon over the past 5 years and the main noise I am very aware of is pavement noise. If all the windows are up the pavement noise can be very loud. There is a noticeable difference when new pavement is enountered. It is always a very pleasant relief from the old, rough pavement, road noise. :) Z
I recently drove from New Mexico to Oregon and must say the pavement on the roadways in Oregon was the noisiest. Newly repaved roads were quiet.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm glad you noticed. I was afraid it was my car. Did you enjoy our state? :) Z
We took our Italian friends for a motor tour of the US northwest and returned to New Mexico. Only one of them speaks English so it was quite a journey, especially with my poor Italian language skills. We have been friends for 27 years and seem to do well together. They loved Oregon and thought it was everything my wife had previously told them. More about the trip later.....

Last edited:

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As our daughter's pickup was in use last night and we had to pick up our allotted 35 gallons of discount gas before midnight, I carried five five-gallon gas cans in the van to haul the remaining booty we couldn't squeeze into the tank. For safety, I opened the rear swing-out windows and drove with the front windows down to keep the fumes from building up inside the cabin. On the freeway I thought I'd go deaf. The roar of traffic was LOUD, to the point I'd involuntarily wince whenever someone came alongside me. I'd even back off the throttle to let them pass. I suppose I've been spoiled. I've driven all summer with the AC and the windows up tight - so I guess I'd forgotten how noisy it is out there. Next time, ear plugs.

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My CRZ with all for wheels on the ground and under the car has an acceptable noise level for me. Others have said it was noisy.
If this light little three wheeler with two wheels out from under it is that noisy or less I will be fine with it.
MK

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My CRZ with all for wheels on the ground and under the car has an acceptable noise level for me. Others have said it was noisy.
If this light little three wheeler with two wheels out from under it is that noisy or less I will be fine with it.
MK
Take into consideration that at the Denver show they told me that the exhaust system on the P4 at that time was not the system that will be used in production.

Top Bottom