• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone Ask About Interior Noise?

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With 3 tires and a slippery body shell I am hoping Elio will be relatively quiet traveling over less than ideal road surfaces. I have not found any interior audio recording of Elio in motion and wonder how much soundproofing he will have.

My Honda Insight does not do well at slower speed over rough roads, so I completely gutted the interior and added 90 sq ft of .050 aluminum coated butyl matting which helped quite a bit. Elio would probably get the same treatment.

Cadillac has the noise-cancelling Bose system, with the same technology in their headphones.
Maybe Mr. Paul could add that as an option package!

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With 3 tires and a slippery body shell I am hoping Elio will be relatively quiet traveling over less than ideal road surfaces. I have not found any interior audio recording of Elio in motion and wonder how much soundproofing he will have.

My Honda Insight does not do well at slower speed over rough roads, so I completely gutted the interior and added 90 sq ft of .050 aluminum coated butyl matting which helped quite a bit. Elio would probably get the same treatment.

Cadillac has the noise-cancelling Bose system, with the same technology in their headphones.
Maybe Mr. Paul could add that as an option package!
http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/12/27/b...msrp-expensive-cheap-cheapest-new-technology/

Autoxdriver

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I've been a little worried about this. Typically inexpensive lightweight cars are not quiet. Most of what makes a car quiet especially at highway speeds is sound deadening material, and that stuff is heavy. I doubt there will be a lot of it in the Elio.

From what I think I know about electronic noise cancelling, it works by capturing the offending sounds and replaying them 180 degrees out of phase with the original sound. This is easy and effective with clear sounds of well defined shapes and frequencies, but it is not with wide spectrum sound like white noise (hiss), which a good portion of road noise is. Notice in the article they claim to reduce engine and drive train noise, sounds that are more definable than tire or wind hiss.

I imagine a Cadillac has lots of sound deadening material between you and the road and is pretty quiet already, and personally being one who likes to shift his own gears I kind of like to hear my engine so I don't think electronic sound reduction is for me.

Last edited:

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been a little worried about this. Typically inexpensive lightweight cars are not quiet. Most of what makes a car quiet especially at highway speeds is sound deadening material, and that stuff is heavy. I doubt there will be a lot of it in the Elio.

Sounds (no pun intended) like you should get yourself a full size luxury car. JMO
Me, I will just turn up the radio. :)

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Dynamat is the brand name of the damping material I used but there are cheaper versions of the same material out there. I added a total weight of about 22# to my vehicle (not much), for about $100.
The roadways and bridges in the US are getting worse every year. Right now, in my area, one can wind up on a roll-back after hitting some of the pot holes......atrocious. Crank up the radio!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
With the Elio being as small as it is removing the interior and putting in your own sound deadening material sounds like the cheapest way to go as I highly doubt they will put nearly enough for your tastes. As for the noise-canceling stereo idea it wouldn't be a bad idea to send them an email recommending it as it does not cost you anything to ask or recommend they consider it.

Last edited:

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hear (same) you, lol. So long as I can make phone calls and hear people I'm happy.

It’s cool,
Think I might be one of the ones getting to serious. I’m real OCDed when it comes to taxes above those required by the Constitution, and for some reason, I equate all these extra wanted options, to a forced tax on the ones that can’t afford it, the very ones this car was suppose to help. Sorry

Last edited:

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score

From what I think I know about electronic noise cancelling, it works by capturing the offending sounds and replaying them 180 degrees out of phase with the original sound. This is easy and effective with clear sounds of well defined shapes and frequencies, but it is not with wide spectrum sound like white noise (hiss), which a good portion of road noise is. Notice in the article they claim to reduce engine and drive train noise, sounds that are more definable than tire or wind hiss.

I imagine a Cadillac has lots of sound deadening material between you and the road and is pretty quiet already, and personally being one who likes to shift his own gears I kind of like to hear my engine so I don't think electronic sound reduction is for me.

The Caddy glass has multiple plies (more than standard glass) w/damping material between the plies for added sound-proofing, along with other methods/materials to isolate the cabin.
Some Acura models have sound-canceling technology in the suspension system.

I responded to the email we got from the Elio marketing team, subject: Interior Styling, about my concern of cabin noise and mentioned Bose and matting options.
They have a lot of nice upgrades for the interior they are considering and hope sound-proofing is added to that list.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ford has that sound deadening steel and something in the A-pillars that makes it quite quiet. My wife can actually hear a whisper from her seat over there. Of course, that's not always helpful... some comments I need to keep inside my head.

Top Bottom