• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The E-series Build.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
90% north American content. I wonder what percent of the parts to build an Elio are off the shelf parts vs. proprietary parts? The proprietary parts may be the hold up and the ability to actually finish an Elio to production standards.
The link that John provided indicated that they were still detailing out parts that need to be manufactured for the E builds. My understanding was the design freeze, parts detailing, and proprietary parts manufacturing, and assembly of all the off the shelf and proprietary parts was the specific purpose of the final P5 Build, allowing the E builds/testing to move forward, but the P5 obviously wasn't complete so the E builds are apparently on hold.

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The link that John provided indicated that they were still detailing out parts that need to be manufactured for the E builds. My understanding was the design freeze, parts detailing, and proprietary parts manufacturing, and assembly of all the off the shelf and proprietary parts was the specific purpose of the final P5 Build, allowing the E builds/testing to move forward, but the P5 obviously wasn't complete so the E builds are apparently on hold.

...."My understanding was"..... No offense, but it appears your understanding was less than complete.
As an example, the front (or left right) motor mount(s) and transmission mounts had to be fabricated for the P5. They never existed before. Therefore they had to be drawn so they could be built in quantity for the E series. That would apply to every custom fabricated piece that was created during the P5 build.
So it doesn't mean the E builds are on hold. Just that they are doing the detail work which was always a part of the plan. Making templates to facilitate multiple reproducible parts.

note: corrected left to right

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wish I could remember where I saw it, but someone commented on seeing an additional frame, or part of one during the P5 build. Elio's response to a direct comment was rather coy.
Also there were the previous comments that some of the units intended for for crash tests might have dummy engines.
There were also comments that fit and finish issues and other details would be worked out on the prototype line.
Given my choice I would love to see one unit followed with step by step pictures and explanatory text.
Do I think I will get that? :confused:
No, but I can dream. :)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to see one unit done and tested period. I can dream too.

Although, after you pointed out my misunderstanding regarding missing parts possibly stalling the E builds/testing..............my new understanding is that EM is on the fast track to either the Q4 2016 or March 2017 production schedule.

My new theme song playing softly in the background: I can see clearly now.

runt2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Reg A+ just closed 4 days ago. You guys are like junkies. You need a fix every couple of days otherwise you start making up crap which you will later claim were promises. Like a bunch of yapping little dogs that won't give it a rest for five minutes.

I found this really funny - mostly because I recognize myself as one of the little yapping dogs :)

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to see one unit done and tested period. I can dream too.

Although, after you pointed out my misunderstanding regarding missing parts possibly stalling the E builds/testing..............my new understanding is that EM is on the fast track to either the Q4 2016 or March 2017 production schedule.

My new theme song playing softly in the background: I can see clearly now.
Yes indeed... it's gonna be a bright sunshiny day.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like EM is currently detailing out parts that still need be manufactured for the E builds. They most likely haven't even started the build process which would explain no news to report. A little disappointing.
The news release was new, but the recording was old, so maybe not still stuck at that point in the process.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I found this really funny - mostly because I recognize myself as one of the little yapping dogs :)
lol, Me2, but hope I don't make 'Elio sourced' crap up. I make plenty of my own crap up, which I call creative thinking. And I sometimes I am not clear enough about things being just conceptual and not real. Guilty in that respect.

If the email is to be believed, I once had a Russian auto auction ask what my Atlantric cost(or maybe it was the UFO body style), they wanted to sell one in something like SportsCarAuction.ru.. I wrote back that I was sorry, but the car was just conceptual and not photos of anything real, and the website I had at the time was simply in testing mode. They never wrote again.

The one benefit at the time was proof a range of people responded to the styling and concept. This was like 2004 or so. One of the (many) reasons I have been very confident about the marketability of the Elio.

Top Bottom