• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? The Gas Cap Has A Real Unmodifiable Reason To Be On The Wrong Side?

vtx04

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Yes, but we're talking about placement, not construction. Couldn't a taillight be a nice ignition source? And how many found out the hard way, not to crouch directly behind the license plate as you were filling? Ah, memories. lol

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember gas caps under license plates and they were a PIA to fill! Hell my 1st car a 63 VW Bug you had to lift the trunk lid which was in front and fill up inside of it! You literally spilled gas in the vehicle!! BTW why is the gas fill on the wrong side??? I have the gas cap on the passenger side in my 08 Sentra and on the driver's side on my F150.. There is NO wrong or right side unless it's in the damn trunk lol!

Ray

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have the perfect solution for ALL concerned....let's have a filler on both sides... now everyone will be happy
Better yet, consider the size of the Elio. I can understand concern about a Hummer but an Elio? Did you see the picture of this vehicle from above? It is one very tiny, itty bitty, vehicle when compared to others. Besides getting out of your car and walking around to the other side is good for your health. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why not add one behind the license plate also.
I had a car like that and I hated it. It was the most awkward place to fill a gas tank I ever experienced including my VW Beetle back in 1962. Even filling in the trunk was easier than behind that license plate. :-) Z

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Huh. I once drove a car with the fill cap behind the license plate. I kinda liked it. I didn't have to worry about which side of the pump was open or not. Never found it difficult to use. Color me confused.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have wondered why a manufacturer chooses the location they do for the fuel filler.. Seems the location of the exhaust dictates the location of the fuel filler for safety reasons.. Exhaust systems would be an ignition point so my guess is they try to locate the fuel fill point on the opposite side to minimize the danger in the event of a fuel spill.. Who knows perhaps I am wrong but by coincidence all 3 of my vehicles have the fuel filler opposite the tailpipe..

Ray

Top Bottom