• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? The Gas Cap Has A Real Unmodifiable Reason To Be On The Wrong Side?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I still believe on the door side would be safer and more convenient.

I agree with you in terms of connivence however not safety. From a safety point of the view having the fuel fill on the opposite side of the only door helps if a fire starts at the pump. Also if you run out of fuel on the side of the road you would be standing filling the tank on the side away from traffic.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
There were 196,165,666 licensed drivers in the US in 2004. Assuming each driver gasses up their car once per week (many do more often than that) and there were 2,510 gas station vehicle fires. Of those fires, 48 people were injured and 2 died.

Your odds of being injured in a gas station fire are 1 in 1.7 to the 9th power. Your odds of dying in a gas station fire are 1 in 1.96 to the 10th power.

By comparison, you have a 1 in 1.4 to the 7th power chance of being killed by lightning.

In other words, there is no safety issue, there's only the question of convenience.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I do wish people would stop quoting 84mpg, it's 49 city and 84 highway, which works out to a combined 68mpg (for $6,800). Perhaps this advertising point is the real reason Elio is pushing for 84mpg highway?

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do wish people would stop quoting 84mpg, it's 49 city and 84 highway, which works out to a combined 68mpg (for $6,800). Perhaps this advertising point is the real reason Elio is pushing for 84mpg highway?
How many auto companies do you know of that quote both all the time? Or do they mostly quote highway?

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pumping gas into a car should be done from the drivers side, as should the fill tube. You drive up and get out right at the pump.
Having the tube on the R/H side means one has to drive up OPPOSITE the pump and walk around the vehicle to pump gas; makes no sense.

All Hondas are this way and I assume most common sense vehicles are the same.

Elios' gas tube is on the wrong side. The key point here is the driver should not be walking or dragging the hose AROUND the vehicle. The drivers' door and the gas tube on the same side keeps it simple.
It DOES matter w/Elio also. A R/H side fill tube means either the driver walks or drags the hose around the vehicle.

As far as running out of gas on the highway.......do we need the drivers door on the R/H side also?

Last edited:

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pumping gas into a car should be done from the drivers side, as should the fill tube. You drive up and get out right at the pump.
Having the tube on the R/H side means one has to drive up OPPOSITE the pump and walk around the vehicle to pump gas; makes no sense.

All Hondas are this way and I assume most common sense vehicles are the same.

Elios' gas tube is on the wrong side. The key point here is the driver should not be walking or dragging the hose AROUND the vehicle. The drivers' door and the gas tube on the same side keeps it simple.
It DOES matter w/Elio also. A R/H side fill tube means either the driver walks or drags the hose around the vehicle.

As far as running out of gas on the highway, there is more danger w/a L/H fill tube, but the vehicle needs to be off the road as far as possible anyway; but Elio will never run out of gas, so that's a mute point!

The last 2 vehicles I have had, have had the gas on the right side. Never been an issue. I don't drag the hose around the vehicle, I pull in on that side, right next to the pump.

Top Bottom