• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? The Gas Cap Has A Real Unmodifiable Reason To Be On The Wrong Side?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On a regular car I prefer the filler cap to be on the left side because I can better judge where I am in relation to the pumps, with the Elio that just doesn't matter as you are centered and the wheels are visible in front of you.
I concur. My truck's is on the left and that makes it easy for me to use. My wife's is on the right - almost like they expect the passenger to earn their keep and fill it up. On the other hand, she can pull up really close and not have to worry about hitting her door on the pump when she gets out. So, there's pros and cons, of course.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With the filler on the right side, no worries about slamming the door into a concrete safety post next to the pump, especially if it's windy.
It can also be a deterrent for people getting in/out while filling (at least in left-side-drive vehicles), which can generate static electricity that could potentially ignite the fumes around the fill tube. Yeah, it's a stretch, but that's what they claim.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You all have correctly imagined that the gas cap on the side it is on is safer when filling it when you run out of gas on the road. However the example of pulling your wife from a burning car is unthinkable for me. I am recently divorced.
And then others of you have argued that I should never run out of gas, and in my 40+ years of driving I have not, so I was thinking mainly from filling up at the pump... The safer side would be the driver's side. Then in the most typical scenario you would get out on the pump side of the vehicle and stay there out of the craziness of some filling stations' traffic.
And also I would get a visual reminder that my gas cap was off if I went into the station to get something when I came back to the car...
I really like the benefit of not having to go through a divorce...you say the backseat passenger is sitting on the gas tank??.
lafrisbee, lafrisbee....it's obvious that ELIO is not the vehicle for you so look the other way and buy something else because EM will NOT, again WILL NOT make this Elio to your specifications! Enjoy this whole experience and accept what you'll be getting for a REALLY LOW PRICE or buy the car you like with all the bells and whistles and pay a REALLY HIGH PRICE to make you feel much safer! :D

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There were 196,165,666 licensed drivers in the US in 2004. Assuming each driver gasses up their car once per week (many do more often than that) and there were 2,510 gas station vehicle fires. Of those fires, 48 people were injured and 2 died.

Your odds of being injured in a gas station fire are 1 in 1.7 to the 9th power. Your odds of dying in a gas station fire are 1 in 1.96 to the 10th power.

By comparison, you have a 1 in 1.4 to the 7th power chance of being killed by lightning.

In other words, there is no safety issue, there's only the question of convenience.
yes, but you don't mention the possibility of shark attacks! Or how the public's perception of safety doesn't always make sense...

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Y'all are making a mountain out of a molehill. Who cares if it's on the passenger side? Volvos have it on the passenger side and I just pull up to the pump on the passenger side

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the actual having to walk around the car for one person one time is no big deal.... but they are going to put it somewhere, and right now is the correct time to let it be known that for the extreme vast majority of us it would be safer to fill it up on the same side we get out of the car so we will have the car between us and all the derelicts that seem to be around gas stations.
It isn't a deal breaker but it is appropriate to bring it up now in hopes they will reconsider the ease of where they want to place as to the ease it will provide the drivers...

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Where do you come up with "the Extreme Vast Majority"?? It is YOU with yet another personal complaint? How have you not started complaining about the shades of color they selected yet?? Seriously, this as do most topics do not mean Anything in the grand scheme of this car. You seriously want to ask them to redesign this mute point and the entire body design and mold because it bothers an individual with an opinion? If they followed every mute complaint like that this car would not be completed until 2025. When their dream becomes your nightmare you should seriously consider looking at an alternate vehicle investment. Yikes.....

We really don't have much else to do around here but endlessly speculate and discuss every little detail of this vehicle so I say let the fun continue. :D

Elio knows they can't please everyone all the time so they just do the best they can and ignore most of our little debates. :)

Top Bottom