• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? The Gas Cap Has A Real Unmodifiable Reason To Be On The Wrong Side?

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read the reason. It didn't make sense when I did.... Can Elio do a tech talk on why they couldn't put the gas cap on the safe side of the vehicle.
Yes the safe side... If you run out of gas on the highway you will be at greater risk of being sideswiped when you go to put gas in the vehicle. And the same issue will be present everytime YouTube gas in your EE, except in OR and NJ. You will have to get out on the traffic side and go around to the pump side to put gas in it, or get out on the pump side and go around to the traffic side....
Something as simple as putting gas in on the less exposed side of the vehicle and they had a 50/50 chance of making it the safer side.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read the reason. It didn't make sense when I did.... Can Elio do a tech talk on why they couldn't put the gas cap on the safe side of the vehicle.
Yes the safe side... If you run out of gas on the highway you will be at greater risk of being sideswiped when you go to put gas in the vehicle. And the same issue will be present everytime YouTube gas in your EE, except in OR and NJ. You will have to get out on the traffic side and go around to the pump side to put gas in it, or get out on the pump side and go around to the traffic side....
Something as simple as putting gas in on the less exposed side of the vehicle and they had a 50/50 chance of making it the safer side.
As I understand it, it is on the non-door side because they don't have to go around the door with the gas line. Also, there is no reason to let your car run out gas. I have been driving for 57 years and have never run out gas. If I did, I would be pulling off to the right side of the road - this is the USA - so putting gas in it would be safer because I would be on the side away from the traffic. To my way of thinking they definitely chose the safer side. :-) Z

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The gas cap looks to be on the right side... a day from traffic. Who runs out of gas any more? There is usually a gauge that tells you your fuel level. They aren't hard to figure out but I'm sure you could take a class or something about them if you need. Kidding, of course. Imagine filling up while your significant other is asleep in the rear.... in the VERY unlikely event that a fire.starts at the pump, would you rather have the only door in the car on fire or the side opposite the only door. I, for one, am not sure I could drag my wife out through the trunk.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How are you more likely to get side swiped by having the gas cap on the right side as opposed to the left?
There are a number of cars that have the gas cap on the right side of the car (like my wife's 2012 Focus).
Again, how is the left side more safe than the right? Are you going to be going to the median rather than the shoulder (as most people should be doing...unless you are a LLH)?

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You all have correctly imagined that the gas cap on the side it is on is safer when filling it when you run out of gas on the road. However the example of pulling your wife from a burning car is unthinkable for me. I am recently divorced.
And then others of you have argued that I should never run out of gas, and in my 40+ years of driving I have not, so I was thinking mainly from filling up at the pump... The safer side would be the driver's side. Then in the most typical scenario you would get out on the pump side of the vehicle and stay there out of the craziness of some filling stations' traffic.
And also I would get a visual reminder that my gas cap was off if I went into the station to get something when I came back to the car...
I really like the benefit of not having to go through a divorce...you say the backseat passenger is sitting on the gas tank??.

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is no right or wrong side for the placement of the gasoline fill. My preference would be on the side with the door. My reason is to be able to get back into the Elio in the shortest time possible. As a woman the greatest danger, when out and about alone, is at gasoline stations an parking lots. Quick entry into the Elio is paramount.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Like Jayne said, there is no rime or reason why a gas cap is where it is, wither it's on the left or the right. Nine times out of ten it comes down to engineering. There is however a reason it is no longer in the back and that is do to the increased possibility of the filler tube breaking off at the tank in the event of a rear end collision. JMO

Last edited:

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is a right and wrong side for a filler cap??????? Jeez, has anyone told the auto industry? My bike is on the right, truck on the left, car on the right, quit worrying and accept the engineering! If you are telling me the left side is the right side, then the right side is..........

SandyCWV

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
No need to remember the gas cap. Ralphe posted this picture from Ontario.
I don't know how it works, but I won't have to worry about the cap rolling off the roof or leaving it behind on the pump. :)
2014-03-30-18-27-54-jpg.343.jpg

Top Bottom