• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? The Gas Cap Has A Real Unmodifiable Reason To Be On The Wrong Side?

BillJ

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
This whole discussion is a waste of time. Almost all gas pumps nowadays have enough hose length to fill a full sized car from either side of the pump. With that being said, the Elio is half as wide as almost every car on the road, so even when you pull up next to the pump when it is on the opposite side of the fuel door, you will still be MUCH closer than you would on a regular car, and therefore you'll have PLENTY of hose to comfortably pull it around the car without having ANY problems whatsoever..... Geez.... can we please find something else to complain about instead of things like this that really don't matter ?

REALLY, it doesn't matter on this car !

In addition, the safety aspect of filling your car on the side of the road if you run out of gas is a bunch of hooey.... I'm 48 years old and have NEVER run out of gas in my 32 years of driving..... With a car that has over 600 miles of range, surely you'll be able to know when you need to find a gas station, or maybe you shouldn't drive !

Last edited:

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This whole discussion is a waste of time. Almost all gas pumps nowadays have enough hose length to fill a full sized car from either side of the pump. With that being said, the Elio is half as wide as almost every car on the road, so even when you pull up next to the pump when it is on the opposite side of the fuel door, you will still be MUCH closer than you would on a regular car, and therefore you'll have PLENTY of hose to comfortably pull it around the car without having ANY problems whatsoever..... Geez.... can we please find something else to complain about instead of things like this that really don't matter ?

REALLY, it doesn't matter on this car !
:(

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder why they didn't just keep everything up front? Probably due to lack of space to put the gas tank under the hood. There is room in the nose, but that may not be the best location for a gas tank! Sure, it could help cushion a head-on collision, but just doesn't seem like a good idea, what with the flammable gas and all...
One word- Corvair. GM put the tank up front I believe on those, just behind the suspension. I really don't know that that made them as dangerous as Ralph N said they were but even being connected in car design with that ill-fated little vehicle might give pause to some. I have a feeling more Pintos caught fire due to accidents than did Corvairs.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
On a number of occasions I have wondered just how long this thread will get before this vehicle enters production. While it does provide some level of entertainment as we await further developments I wonder if the interest in this topic will cool down over the next several months as we move further into the engine and vehicle development process followed, hopefully quickly, by further testing and plant configuration ahead of production. I would think that those much more important topics would dominate the conversation however this topic has also shown remarkable resilience so at this point it would not surprise me if it even survives the release of the vehicle. At this point I can even see a day when people post photos of their new Elios being filled at the gas station from the 'wrong' side. :rolleyes::eek::D

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On a number of occasions I have wondered just how long this thread will get before this vehicle enters production. While it does provide some level of entertainment as we await further developments I wonder if the interest in this topic will cool down over the next several months as we move further into the engine and vehicle development process followed, hopefully quickly, by further testing and plant configuration ahead of production. I would think that those much more important topics would dominate the conversation however this topic has also shown remarkable resilience so at this point it would not surprise me if it even survives the release of the vehicle. At this point I can even see a day when people post photos of their new Elios being filled at the gas station from the 'wrong' side. :rolleyes::eek::D

The durability of this thread has everything to do with the intense interest in the Elio and the paucity of anything better to talk about. Long live the gascap thread! Long live the sleeves-versus-spray-bore thread!

What the hell am I saying? Long live NEW news, dammit! Update on ATVM. Update on production date. Update on financing. Update on dyno. Only then will Wrongside-Gascap thread die the death it so richly deserves.

Top Bottom