• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? The Gas Cap Has A Real Unmodifiable Reason To Be On The Wrong Side?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
where is the FUEL CELL ?

does the Elio have a plain ole metal tank, or an enclosed protected with a bladder FUEL CELL ??

the TRIHAWK had the Fuel Cell in the BACK of the vehicle, and the fuel cap was on the TOP ON THE REAR !

does the rear swing arm have just ONE side-mounted shock ?

i think the location of the fuel filler cap is dependent on the location/type of FUEL TANK and the CG of the vehicle for stability .

The Elio fuel tank is located in a structurally reinforced area beneath the passenger seat. We have not been told what type of tank is being used however most vehicles today use blow molded plastic fuel tanks and I would guess that due to their low cost EM will also. Elio Motors has told us that the fuel fill is on the right side simply because it is less expensive than putting it on the left.

You can see the tank mounting position under the passenger seat in this drawing:
ScreenShot2013-01-14at92021AM.jpg

2-dsc07967.jpg

The picture above shows how that area of the chassis is reinforced which protects the fuel tank in the event of an accident.

In this P4 rolling chassis photo you can see the single sided swingarm with the single coilover shock and the reinforced fuel tank area.
[Broken External Image]

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio fuel tank is located in a structurally reinforced area beneath the passenger seat. We have not been told what type of tank is being used however most vehicles today use blow molded plastic fuel tanks and I would guess that due to their low cost EM will also. Elio Motors has told us that the fuel fill is on the right side simply because it is less expensive than putting it on the left.

You can see the tank mounting position under the passenger seat in this drawing:
ScreenShot2013-01-14at92021AM.jpg

2-dsc07967.jpg

The picture above shows how that area of the chassis is reinforced which protects the fuel tank in the event of an accident.

In this P4 rolling chassis photo you can see the single sided swingarm with the single coilover shock and the reinforced fuel tank area.
[Broken External Image]
I wonder why they didn't just keep everything up front? Probably due to lack of space to put the gas tank under the hood. There is room in the nose, but that may not be the best location for a gas tank! Sure, it could help cushion a head-on collision, but just doesn't seem like a good idea, what with the flammable gas and all...

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I'm sure there is a bean counter somewhere who understands how it can save money .... with the tank in the center of a vehicle between two mirror image sides ..
confused.gif

Jim

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder why they didn't just keep everything up front? Probably due to lack of space to put the gas tank under the hood. There is room in the nose, but that may not be the best location for a gas tank! Sure, it could help cushion a head-on collision, but just doesn't seem like a good idea, what with the flammable gas and all...

a reverse Pinto .. :eek:

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure there is a bean counter somewhere who understands how it can save money .... with the tank in the center of a vehicle between two mirror image sides ..
confused.gif

Jim

It really is not a mirror image when you look at the details as behind the passenger compartment panels there is a lot more going on that most people realize. Engineers have to consider the locations of reinforced hard mounts for items such as seat belts and suspension components along with needing to account for safety considerations such trying to route wiring away from fuel lines as much as possible. Accounting for all of these hidden details is where some money can be saved by doing things one way or another.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

The Elio fuel tank location is actually very conventional as far as automotive engineering goes. The fuel tank is located under the rear passenger seat in the majority of cars today because over time engineers have determined that the safest place for the fuel tank is actually within the passenger protective cell. This somewhat counter-intuitive location does begin to make sense when you consider that the passenger safety cell area is structurally reinforced to avoid being deformed in an accident, is isolated from the engine by a firewall, and is not affected by the planned deformation of the front and rear crumple zones.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio fuel tank location is actually very conventional as far as automotive engineering goes. The fuel tank is located under the rear passenger seat in the majority of cars today because over time engineers have determined that the safest place for the fuel tank is actually within the passenger protective cell. This somewhat counter-intuitive location does begin to make sense when you consider that the passenger safety cell area is structurally reinforced to avoid being deformed in an accident, is isolated from the engine by a firewall, and is not affected by the planned deformation of the front and rear crumple zones.
Interesting. I guess I'm going to stop carrying those fuel cans in the bed of my truck and buckle them in the passenger seat beside me!

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

To put it simply, the Ford Pinto got it wrong!;)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It really is not a mirror image when you look at the details as behind the passenger compartment panels there is a lot more going on that most people realize. Engineers have to consider the locations of reinforced hard mounts for items such as seat belts and suspension components along with needing to account for safety considerations such trying to route wiring away from fuel lines as much as possible. Accounting for all of these hidden details is where some money can be saved by doing things one way or another.

which side of the back seat dose the shoulder harness mount to the wall .... left like a typical driver's seat or right like a typical passenger's seat

Jim

Top Bottom