• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? The Gas Cap Has A Real Unmodifiable Reason To Be On The Wrong Side?

Texconsin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Test Drive in 84 Fiero. Needs gas, salesman was a good friend(college buddy) and we had to call back to the dealership to find out how to get the stupid cover open! Did mention we met in engineer school :) The car had no manual as it had been picked up at the show, they called Pontiac regional service and we waited 1/2 hour while they found someone who knew where they hid the lever!
As far as Elio, I don't care where they put it, it only costs 6800$ and gets 84MPG :)
My favorite part of airport car rental: rushing to get to the airport with a full tank and no idea how to open the filler door!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If you buy gas at the Katy, Texas Costco, you'll be glad it's on the right side. The pump lanes are one way and the left side gas fillers wait in line, but the right side fillers pull right up to the pumps. Too bad my Kia Sorento is a lefty, but I always fill my Suzuki Boulevard from the right (high) side.

For some reason Costco likes one way fuel stations. Of course I am on of 'those' people and simply ignore the one way sign before doing a u-turn and pulling into an empty pump facing in the 'wrong' direction. Why would I wait when there are plenty of empty pumps? :D

Texconsin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For some reason Costco likes one way fuel stations. Of course I am on of 'those' people and simply ignore the one way sign before doing a u-turn and pulling into an empty pump facing in the 'wrong' direction. Why would I wait when there are plenty of empty pumps? :D
Our Costco has little gas Nazis (attendants) roaming the pumps.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd say "eff em", but nowadays they won't turn the dang pump on if you anger the pimple faced geeks working there. I learned that backing into the "wrong" side of a Holiday near work. Since then, I've just voted with my wallet and not gone back. I even gained almost a full MPG getting gas elsewhere, still cheaper despite a couple cents higher per gallon price usually.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm amazed that this subject has resulted in so much discussion. I don't understand why drivers can't cope with filling from the opposite side. We do it here all the time because most of our filling stations are one way only with space either side of the pump island. If there's a queue drivers just take the next space and get on with it. In fact I prefer to fill from the opposite side simply because I can watch the pump gauge and the filler nozzle without turning round.

I just thought of an old joke about the size of a driver's car compared to the length of his hose..... :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom