• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? The Gas Cap Has A Real Unmodifiable Reason To Be On The Wrong Side?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
How many people on this forum have, bought / or not, a car based on where the gas filler is located?
I doubt many people even pay much attention to where the fuel filler is located until the first time they need to fill their new vehicle with fuel. [emoji4]

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ah ha! exactly my point. the average driver is tuned in to events that are happening around them and reacting to those events, not following a plan. an example would be, if i need to gas up, i will pull into the pump line that i can be on the left side of. why is this a plan? because i already know the vehicle layout so i'm not mentally playing chess of where do i put this vehicle so i can put fuel in it. i'm simply looking for the lane at the pump that is open on the side that i need to be on. i know this sounds like a simple task but to me, driving is a lot of simple tasks that are blended together but necessary, to have a successful outcome, each and every time u use a vehicle to go from point a to point b. u might find this of interest. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-good-life/201108/there-are-no-accidents
Goldwing06, okay I read the article, so what I really need to do is avoid young, male, pessimistic, depressed drivers. Gotcha! LOL
Oh and those little tasks, are a part of conditioning our brain, we do not consciously address those tasks, our brain just processes them faster through conditioning. Example- someone throws a rock at you, you do not say to yourself " I need to duck before that rock hits me." By the time your brain receives that message you have been hit by a rock. Natural instinct is to duck, the brain has been conditioned to react to this situation. Another example- Watch a new driver, there head and eyes are constantly moving, there brain has not yet been conditioned to take in the whole picture and react accordingly. Next time your out for a drive, ( preferably on a deserted country road ) try telling yourself each task you are performing as you do it, you will become a distracted driver within seconds. Why, because your unconscious brain has been conditioned to react a thousand times faster than your consciousness. Unfortunately, this is the problem with Many drivers today, there is a flaw in their conditioning. ie.........turn signals

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In case none of you have noticed gas fillers are always on the opposite of the exhaust on all cars.
false
StRNqkIl.jpg

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Remember in the late 60's early 70's when it was behind the license plate..... for the auto designers that couldn't decide what side to put it on. To me it really doesnt matter 1 iota -- Just dont hide it so I have to look in the owners manual to find it, I dont want to loose my Man Card by looking in a manual LOL :)

Top Bottom