• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P4 Video From Detroit Dream Cruise. Iav Engineer Kody Klindt Talks Engine Details

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That little engine should have been up and running by now. What if harlon is right? What if the PTWA coating peeled and it blew up in the test cell. Imagine the IAV engineering team trying to adapt sleeves (hopefully enough room between cylinders for sleeves). I think it would be a hoot! Not a likely scenario but possible. And we would never know anything about it.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That little engine should have been up and running by now. What if harlon is right? What if the PTWA coating peeled and it blew up in the test cell. Imagine the IAV engineering team trying to adapt sleeves (hopefully enough room between cylinders for sleeves). I think it would be a hoot! Not a likely scenario but possible. And we would never know anything about it.
Or, maybe it is "together and running"...maybe even for a month or more. There could even be several engines being "flogged" right now... and we are not aware of it. :)

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A good point and quite the devil's advocate! I don't mind spirited debate, but civility is what is needed. And what if things go ka-plooey? Well, more fodder for the drivetrain threads. Keep it classy America!

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
New 96 ci harley motor.
Bored to 107 ci , ported heads , woods cams.
Welded balanced and plugged cranks. By Darkhorse.
Thundermax computer running wide bands.

All work done by a very competent builder I had used before. And did again without issues.

Bore plating falls off. Chews the oil pump and bingo ... I have a paperweight.
Sad thing is It happened to many. Gave a great engine builder a bad name becuse we all belived the marketing hype.
Then the company who I will not name but Is not that hard to fiugure out...lol that made the plated bores. Begain with the excuses....we all compared notes.
And to this day sells them and has a marketing dept. That does a great job at selling this junk.

But in the end it was bore related failures.

Then within my family at about the same time was a jag....with issues.

After the bike was rebuilt with standard bores punched out and they were thin walled as much as I could bore a stock jug. just shy of 4"
the same setup ran well....real well.

And pos jag was sold ...and lessions learned.

I am sorry that you, and others have lost money and time due to poor quality/ technology. Makes me glad that EM & IAG aren't using the "Nikasil plating process." :)

harlan stephens

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This although unpopular this Is the way I see it.
No news to means lack of money.
If the motor was running it would be used for marketing and other investers. .paul has nothing to gain here hiding a motor he intends to use.
If the gov loan came through it would be great news and be put out asap for the same reson.
If materials were stacking up to build at the plant it would be shown. the town would praising the new hires.
But thats not happening.
That is not to say pual does not have a great vision and a cool product.
I just think pual will need more time than what has been stated and more money/ investors or loans to make it happen.
Whats confusing to me as pual has said he was not looking for more investers.
Pure speculation ...but thats the way I see it.

"This is a difficult time for everyone connected with our company because we have never been closer to realizing our vision," said Paul Wilbur, Aptera's CEO. "Unfortunately, though, we are out of resources."

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Those vids were posted Oct 1.
In the first one, the AVI guy clearly stated that they still didn't know exactly where and how the "knock sensor" was going to be installed.
He also said the oil pan would be different than the the one on the model.

So, I'd say, at least as of the day of that recording, the fully assembled engine had yet to be run in the real world.

To me, that's neither good, bad nor ugly.
These are great vids and they make me feel a lot better about the whole thing.

Now, here's my question and it's a big one. It was hard to hear, but did he actually indicate that the exhaust system was going to "shoot out" and externally follow the outside rocker panel to the back of the vehicle like the Vette in the video?

Last edited:
Top Bottom