• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motor Running Time For Long Drives?

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any long trip should be broken up with brief rest stops every couple of hours to avoid DVT. My wife, the former nurse insists I do this, and I'm happy to comply - stretching my legs every so often gives me a chance to relax walk about a little, look at the scenery, even change drivers. After all, it's not a race, and I'm not competing for the "Iron Butt" trophy.

I've developed a bad habit over the past several years of eating a breakfast sandwich with coffee on my way to work at church early on Sunday mornings. I've rationalized this as there's little traffic on my 20 mile freeway commute, and it gives me a little extra sleep on what's otherwise a day off.

But now I've found it's not just me droning distracted. . . With so many others talking, texting, surfing, etc. it's gotten too dangerous out there to drive while munching. Besides there are two coffee shops on my way that offer a breakfast far superior to my usual greasy egg on a bun.
:)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
we owned a Chevy Sprint that came with a 3 cylinder, 1 liter motor .... it ran smoothly, was able to maintain interstate speed with no problems while delivering 50+ mpg .... at 75,000 miles the motor was done .... that is the only 3 cylinder engine I have used and sure hope that the motor Elio Motors will produce will offer much higher longevity

Jim

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In collage my Daughter was given a slight used Geo metro. She put 90,000 on it basically problem free. She gave it to someone we know that needed a car. They drove it until it was totaled in a wreck.
To this day she says that 3 cyl. was a great car.

TJ Hue

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I myself is considering driving home from the factory but my concern is the break in period. Does it really needs to be driven at no more than 45 mph on a stop and go situation for 500 miles before running it crazy in the freeway doing 70-75 mph? Help please!

I have always seen these break in requirements on all the motorcycles that I have had. over the years and after talking to many people at the Honda engine plant and BMW engine plant I have found it best to go about 100 miles under the prescribed break in plan, then ride it as you will normally... I have been doing this with great results now for 10 years.... So a drive home from the plant may be in order for me.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think at the $6800 price point the engine will be fairly disposable. A month or two of use at most if it runs ~60min per day. Then take it to the scrap yard and buy another. :confused:

I think the real question should be is can yer butt handle 10+hrs of windshield time. I doubt they'll be really comfortable for long trips. Maybe have to start an Elio Iron Butt Club. :D

It doesn't even have a gas cap. Once it runs out, you buy a new one.
It's the disposable car!!!

Top Bottom