• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motor Running Time For Long Drives?

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Road trip for a brand new vehicle is the best way to check everything: squeaking, road handling, comfort (specially the seats). If something is to fail, it should happen on my way home..all 1,879 miles of it! Along the way I'm stopping by Texas to try their 20 oz. steaks(they serve big portions in Texas), then off to New Mexico...might as well try their authentic mexican buritos and fahitas, finally Arizona for a round of golf and by the time I know it, I'm home!

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors has stated that modern vehicles are designed for 100,000 miles, including theirs (which is much lighter); so if your TRIP is shorter than this... you should not have any problems!

100K miles? Cars of the 50s & 60s were usually good for ~100K miles, then they need an engine/trans rebuild or the scrap yard. Modern engines are designed so they don't even need new spark plugs until they hit 100K miles. If you have insider info that Elio is designed to be a 100K mile disposable vehicle, I'll have to rethink it's viability.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
100K miles? Cars of the 50s & 60s were usually good for ~100K miles, then they need an engine/trans rebuild or the scrap yard. Modern engines are designed so they don't even need new spark plugs until they hit 100K miles. If you have insider info that Elio is designed to be a 100K mile disposable vehicle, I'll have to rethink it's viability.
That's awfully low! Rogwild needs to get his source verified because I have not read this claim from Elio Motors anywhere! Then again, if that will give me an excuse to replace it with that 400 hp 3 cylinder engine.......

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's awfully low! Rogwild needs to get his source verified because I have not read this claim from Elio Motors anywhere! Then again, if that will give me an excuse to replace it with that 400 hp 3 cylinder engine.......
Perhaps I should have said 'at least', but here is my SOURCE (from their FaceBook page);
Elio Motors All cars are engineered for 100K+ miles, the Elio included. Longevity after that really depends on how well it's maintained. Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!
· February 1 at 2:21pm
Maybe you should 'read' more, and 'challenge' less. I'll bet they 'Re-Build' that 400Hp 'beast' after every race..... lucky if they get 100k out of it!

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps I should have said 'at least', but here is my SOURCE (from their FaceBook page); Maybe you should 'read' more, and 'challenge' less. I'll bet they 'Re-Build' that 400Hp 'beast' after every race..... lucky if they get 100k out of it!
My bad! Sorry Rogwild. And you're right about those engines....squeezing that much horses out of that poor little engine something will break down!

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If a modern, new vehicle is designed to only survive normal use for 100k miles, it shouldn't be mass produced or released to the public. The 100k miles prob means the Elio is designed to not have any major service performed within the first 100k miles.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If a modern, new vehicle is designed to only survive normal use for 100k miles, it shouldn't be mass produced or released to the public. The 100k miles prob means the Elio is designed to not have any major service performed within the first 100k miles.
Elio Motors' reply was to someone's question about the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. The media person cited many other major automakers that also only offered the same standard warranty, and made the statement "100K+", to show that the Elio would last MUCH LONGER, if taken care of. Also with a 1200 pound vehicle, the 'wear and tear' should be much less than a standard 'heavyweight'!

ccryder

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on break in, it went out with a choke lever, 100k+ s'miles for this engine s/b a cake walk. The engine designer is not at their first rodeo. Nissan has a 1.5l 88# motor that produces 400hp/280ft-lb and will run at Le Mans. Hey back off the boost, go to one TC and even at 100hp it will e a performer. My 1125R is 1125cc and has ~150rw hp and 90ft-lb, it would SHRED those front tires. Point is, this engine will probably run over 200k miles and give GREAT MPG.

Color me waiting at the $1k all in!

Neil S.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 226
Top Bottom