• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motor Running Time For Long Drives?

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Think about the Geo Metro, This drivetrain will be equivalent or better than that, the Geo could take just about anything, get 50 plus MPG and last 200,000 miles. I would not hesitate driving the Elio across the USA. I live in Iowa and plan on driving it home from the factory, the break-in period will be just like every other new vehicle that I have purchased, Get in set the cruse control, and enjoy.

elio_guru

Reaction score
Any information regarding the recommended time duration you can run the motor for long drives...wondering if it can handle interstate travel longer than 10 hours...
There will be no problem on long drives, as long as the vehicle is up to date on service requirements. Be sure you have the oil changed as per the operators manual outlines. During the break in period I will change my oil many times to insure a good smooth break in, and extend the engine life.
If your driving a long period in a vehicle that is not yet broke in, it would be wise to stop along the way, and get an oil change. Many people do this.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope I did not miss-lead folks on the suggested break in period. I have owned 55 vehicles in my driving life to date and most were new car purchases or restored antique cars. Info gleaned over that time period is best summed up by employing a break in period on a new or rebuilt engine---gives valves a period to seat themselves, rings to adjust in their slots, bearings time to surface mate, etc.,however if you consider that most new cars today have dumped the break-in period requirements and technically you can blast off from the git-go, it is your call! As an old timer , I will do the break -in bit as just good sense applied to a new car purchase! RB

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Road trip for a brand new vehicle is the best way to check everything: squeaking, road handling, comfort (specially the seats). If something is to fail, it should happen on my way home..all 1,879 miles of it! Along the way I'm stopping by Texas to try their 20 oz. steaks(they serve big portions in Texas), then off to New Mexico...might as well try their authentic mexican buritos and fahitas, finally Arizona for a round of golf and by the time I know it, I'm home!

Burritos! What good is getting 11 hours between fill ups, when you have to stop every 10 minuets?

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope I did not miss-lead folks on the suggested break in period. I have owned 55 vehicles in my driving life to date and most were new car purchases or restored antique cars. Info gleaned over that time period is best summed up by employing a break in period on a new or rebuilt engine---gives valves a period to seat themselves, rings to adjust in their slots, bearings time to surface mate, etc.,however if you consider that most new cars today have dumped the break-in period requirements and technically you can blast off from the git-go, it is your call! As an old timer , I will do the break -in bit as just good sense applied to a new car purchase! RB

Although not required, it certainly wouldn't hurt to be cautious for the first few hundred miles. ;) The usual varying of the RPM and not running too high an RPM for a few hundred miles.

Mark Handler

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Think about the Geo Metro, This drivetrain will be equivalent or better than that, the Geo could take just about anything, get 50 plus MPG and last 200,000 miles. I would not hesitate driving the Elio across the USA. I live in Iowa and plan on driving it home from the factory, the break-in period will be just like every other new vehicle that I have purchased, Get in set the cruse control, and enjoy.
I also live in Iowa and I plan on driving it home to Council Bluffs! :)

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thought of doing the same, but the 500 mile breaking @45 mph will take about 11+ hours on side streets. Might as well plan to roam around the area, visit points of interest for a day or two before taking it on the freeway back to CA....
Thought of doing the same, but the 500 mile breaking @45 mph will take about 11+ hours on side streets. Might as well plan to roam around the area, visit points of interest for a day or two before taking it on the freeway back to CA....
most freeways parallel the old original highways so drive on these until u get the break in mileage and then get back on the interstate. besides, u might see some of america you've never seen before.

Top Bottom