• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motor Running Time For Long Drives?

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
.......The PCV would plug (as they sometimes do), and the resulting pressure would pop the seals right out of place........

You got that right!
If properly maintained they have been known to go 300-400K miles, or more. One "issue" was some peoples "perception" that the Metro was a disposable car. So, they didn't want to "waste money" on a car that wasn't going to last....that's just sad.

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I myself is considering driving home from the factory but my concern is the break in period. Does it really needs to be driven at no more than 45 mph on a stop and go situation for 500 miles before running it crazy in the freeway doing 70-75 mph? Help please!
Modern cars don't require any significant break-in, other than varying your speed / rpm -- don't cross the great plains on cruise control in the first few days -- I'd be surprised if the Elio were any less well machined and robust.

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A Corolla gets better mileage than a Smart Car...I'm still trying to figure out what's so smart about them! JK!

Cool, you have a Corolla Convertible? I have never seen one.

smart = swatch mercedes art -- The urban car was designed by engineers from Swatch (watch company) and Mercedes-Benz to fit in hard to find parking places. The name "smart" (not capitalized) was not to imply intelligent.

As an EMT trained to extract people (Jaws of Life) I have never extricated anyone from a smart, but I have extricated from two different Corollas. The Corolla is a good car, but the sheet metal can fold around passengers in a bad accident.

I assume the Elio will be very much like a smart, the color is plastic panels a roll-cage frame with NO sheet metal. Kinda not stupid, if people want to live.

Mark Handler

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Running doesn't damage engines. Starting and stopping is what damages engines particularly short trips. I once worked with a couple of guys who owned little Russian aerobatic airplanes (Sukhoi Su26 or 29 IIRC) with M14P 9 cylinder radial engines. I was told that in Russia these engines are used on generators, air compressors, water pumps etc. and running on LP gas have been running continuously for 20 years. I'm sure IAV and Elio can better the Russians workmanship.
That would make for a great endurance test. Drive it non stop except for gas & maintenace. It's been done before.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Gas turbine engines can be run seemingly forever in industrial service. That's why you'll find them running critical electrical generators in remote locations all over the world.
I had to audit a school for turbine mechanics some years ago, and learned it's better to keep them turning (called "windmilling") to keep the oil circulating and avoid flat-spotting the shaft bearings.

Any engine experiences high levels of of stress and wear with the thermal shock and minimal or no lubrication during starting and the first few seconds of operation. Our instructor said their company's turbines were guaranteed for 100,000 hours, or ONE start. Whichever occurs first.

Top Bottom