• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motor Running Time For Long Drives?

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The 45mph was a low end to 55mph upper end for the first 500miles+/-, then go for it!. Not cast in iron! What this does , gives valves , piston rings, crank bearings, etc., time to seat themselves without scaring mating surfaces. Am sure some may say not required but common sense dictates a break-in period before the lead foots have at it!! RB

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Modern engines have no need for an extended break-in period. That's a carry over from the old days with cast iron/steel rings. Moly and Plasma rings require no more than a few minutes of run time to seat.
I'm in the process of rebuilding the 460 for my jetboat. Will be an easy 475-500hp, and will be broken in, ready to drop the hammer after changing the break-in oil (10qts!) after running 2200rpm for 20min to break in the cam/lifters.

corvairbob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
if this is to be such a good engine it should not need any break in. new cars don't require it. the last few new cars i got the dealers said no drive it. hyundai and gm sites said drive it. just change the oil at the fist recommended time. my hyundai the dealer would not chage the oil untill 3500 miles my chevy cruze the dealer said not until the oil life was around 10% the mfg. web sites said the same, so if this iav engine is so good then they will say the same. personally i don't think the engine will go many miles not having any steel cylinders walls. just another briggs engine. how many remember the vega's?

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
These will certainly not be a Vega type fiasco. Those were silicon lined cylinders (basically). Materials and coatings technology have advanced significantly since the 70s. The IAV will likely have ceramic coated cylinders. Rebuild potential? I bet it won't be cost effective since the cylinders would have to be re-coated after boring. But on the other hand, the ceramic lining may not wear as an iron cyl does, so new rings may be all that's required. Look up the new Nissan prototype 3cy, 1.5L, all aluminum engine that puts out 400hp. It uses ceramic-type cyl lining.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
These will certainly not be a Vega type fiasco. Those were silicon lined cylinders (basically). Materials and coatings technology have advanced significantly since the 70s. The IAV will likely have ceramic coated cylinders. Rebuild potential? I bet it won't be cost effective since the cylinders would have to be re-coated after boring. But on the other hand, the ceramic lining may not wear as an iron cyl does, so new rings may be all that's required. Look up the new Nissan prototype 3cy, 1.5L, all aluminum engine that puts out 400hp. It uses ceramic-type cyl lining.
That's good to know. So I'm back with the original plan to drive this baby home but not after touring the production plant and some sightseeing tour.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors has stated that modern vehicles are designed for 100,000 miles, including theirs (which is much lighter); so if your TRIP is shorter than this... you should not have any problems!

Top Bottom