• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motor Running Time For Long Drives?

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am not an expert, and few details have been released about the Elio engine, but I can't imagine there would be any problems associated with driving nonstop for 10 hours or much longer. My smart fortwo has a 3 cyl., 1 liter motor with hp slightly more than the Elio's. Two people wide, and taller than many cars, the smart fortwo is the aerodynamic opposite of the Elio. I love my smarts (my wife also drives one), but the Elio will be superior in mpg.

Paul Heitzman

Elio Fan
Reaction score
If it will run an hour, it will run 10 hours. I am sure they will have done durability testing prior to production. The engine design is very modern with port fuel injection, and a special casting process that is designed for both low friction and low wear. It should delivery many years of reliable service. I am planning on a cross country trip right out of the gate, and I plan to drive it many days in a row. I am not concerned.

LGilbert

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Short trips where the engine does not attain full running temperature are much harder on the motor than long distance mileage as accumulated moisture in many locations is not vaporized away resulting in corrosion. Provided that the cooling and lubrication systems are properly designed, long running times should never be a factor. I'm more concerned about you!

EARL LANEY

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Any information regarding the recommended time duration you can run the motor for long drives...wondering if it can handle interstate travel longer than 10 hours...
There is no difference in the ELio than any other auto. It has a 3 cylinder fuel injected auto engine. It will
keep on running as long as it has oil and gas.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any information regarding the recommended time duration you can run the motor for long drives...wondering if it can handle interstate travel longer than 10 hours...

I think at the $6800 price point the engine will be fairly disposable. A month or two of use at most if it runs ~60min per day. Then take it to the scrap yard and buy another. :confused:

I think the real question should be is can yer butt handle 10+hrs of windshield time. I doubt they'll be really comfortable for long trips. Maybe have to start an Elio Iron Butt Club. :D

R

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I think at the $6800 price point the engine will be fairly disposable. A month or two of use at most if it runs ~60min per day. Then take it to the scrap yard and buy another. :confused:

I think the real question should be is can yer butt handle 10+hrs of windshield time. I doubt they'll be really comfortable for long trips. Maybe have to start an Elio Iron Butt Club. :D

I am used to 10+ hours driving sometimes on a roadster, occasionally stopping for gas breaks in between. Long drives is more of a form of stress relief for me or maybe it's just an excuse to get away from the everyday stress that just piled up. Home to work is about 2 hours one way, and have been doing that for over 2 years now....iron butt might just sum it up

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I myself is considering driving home from the factory but my concern is the break in period. Does it really needs to be driven at no more than 45 mph on a stop and go situation for 500 miles before running it crazy in the freeway doing 70-75 mph? Help please!

R

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I myself is considering driving home from the factory but my concern is the break in period. Does it really needs to be driven at no more than 45 mph on a stop and go situation for 500 miles before running it crazy in the freeway doing 70-75 mph? Help please!

Thought of doing the same, but the 500 mile breaking @45 mph will take about 11+ hours on side streets. Might as well plan to roam around the area, visit points of interest for a day or two before taking it on the freeway back to CA....

Top Bottom