• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone Ask About Interior Noise?

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope its not classified as a motorcycle as I don't want to take a motorcycle test. Not to mention how much it would cost for motorcycle insurance for someone like me under 25 with no riding experience and no formal training
I don't think you have to worry about the insurance, motorcycle insurance is based on the crash factor, look at the power to weight ratio of the Elio compared to a rice rocket with 200 hp, the only thing you may have to give up is the ability to ride it on the back wheel for a quarter mile.

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is no way in hell I would wear a motorcycle helmet inside of a vehicle.. I would venture to say that 99% of people interested in Elio feel exactly the same!

Ray
I would have to say that it would be stupid if they require a helmet, Iowa is a no helmet law state so the only time I would have to is if I drive to a state that requires it, in that case I will wear the half helmet I wear on my scooter, I know it will be a pain but I am not giving up my Elio.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio won't be classified as a motorcycle by the time it's released. Even if it is classified an autocycle, helmets won't be required. New legislation is being developed in most states to accommodate the Elio, and the others like it that will follow.

Try to think through your statement to 'wear a full-face helmet' clearly. Do you actually think wearing a full-face helmet - inside a vehicle - will be safer? You're kidding right? Trolling us? Yes, yes, they wear them in race cars. Well, when was the last time a Nascar driver had to look both ways before crossing a busy street, or rely on peripheral vision to scan for wildlife, pedestrians and playing children? Simply stupid to consider wearing a full-face helmet inside a vehicle on city streets.

NHTSA will certify the Elio only as a motorcycle since it meets the their
definition as a motorcycle (has 3 wheels in contact with the ground).
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/its-a-car-in-ohio.114/#post-5502

I do think in time, all the states will define a third category and charge everyones plates just under that of a car.

Last edited:

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lincoln has active noise cancelation too. It even serves as an enginevaudio enhancement at greater throttle openings to make the engine sound more robust, I guess. It works.
But guys.... Back to freaking reality here. It's being developed as a $6800 economy transportation! And here we are talking about Caddy's, BMW, Mercs and etc. If you want the ultimate in noise cancelation, invest in a really good full face helmet, like a motorcycle operator is supposed to have.
We are already forgetting that this is classified as a motorcycle. Talk about wanting this to be all things to all people.... It just cannot be.
Most states don't allow it as far as I know, but noise cancelling headphones could be a solution if noise turns out to be an issue. My experience in sailplanes leads me to believe that the aerodynamics of the vehicle will go a long way toward keeping wind noise low. On the other hand, road noise transmitted through the vehicle structure could be a significant issue. I'm hopeful that there will be sufficient acoustical control incorporated into the design to keep engine noise that reaches the passenger compartment to a reasonable level.

Last edited:

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most states don't allow it as far as I know, but noise cancelling headphones could be a solution if noise turns out to be an issue. My experience in sailplanes leads me to believe that the aerodynamics of the vehicle will go a long way toward keeping wind noise low. On the other hand, road noise transmitted through the vehicle structure could be a significant issue. I'm hopeful that there will be sufficient acoustical control incorporated into the design to keep engine noise that reaches the passenger compartment to a reasonable level.
In Texas a lot of roads have incorporated large gravel into the asphalt and it truly is noisey in my focus. Hopefully with 2 wheels outside of the bodys sphere the noise will not be too bad. Anyway just crank up the old time Rock & Roll and use a bluetooth headset with noise cancelling. Blue parrot is really good.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
In Texas a lot of roads have incorporated large gravel into the asphalt and it truly is noisey in my focus. Hopefully with 2 wheels outside of the bodys sphere the noise will not be too bad. Anyway just crank up the old time Rock & Roll and use a bluetooth headset with noise cancelling. Blue parrot is really good.

This is very true, this vehicle only has one wheel inside the body structure which will hopefully keep a good bit of that road noise out of vehicle. If needed it should also be relatively easy to add more sound deadening material around the rear wheel, maybe even a coating of LizardSkin paint on sound deadening material inside the wheel well.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
with the windows up it should be better than most cars but for the same reason it should be noisier than most cars with the windows down...those two front wheels outside of the body.

I would say it depends on just how well the aerodynamics of the wheel covers and front end cut through the air. If the Elio is as slippery as its supposed to be there still may not be much noise compared to a less aerodynamic vehicle.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would say it depends on just how well the aerodynamics of the wheel covers and front end cut through the air. If the Elio is as slippery as its supposed to be there still may not be much noise compared to a less aerodynamic vehicle.
3D cad models probably simulate aerodynamics OK for a start but a wind tunnel would reveal even more plus noise could be evaluated with real wind..

Top Bottom