• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
One of my larger concerns with the Elgin design is glare and eye strain from the silver circles. For a watch, it's not a problem, but for a dash, it could be bad news.
I'm not concerned about the silver circles causing eye strain. What I am concerned about are the color of the various lights hindering night vision. Pontiacs have a wonderful reddish-orange shade that is great and doesn't interfere with night vision at all. I've driven cars with green displays and that was ok but not great, the cars that had white or blue displays were horrible though.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you see Any of the lights you probably have a bigger issue! If the check engine, oil, door, seat belt, battery etc light come on you SHOULD see it. Like all cars, these lights are off 5 seconds after you start the car unless again if you have a huge issue you are ignoring. These are Warning lights, Not running lights.
why is it no one commented on the idiot light on that picture of the Elgin gauges that show both doors open? My Elio only has one door, so that can't be my dash.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
If you see Any of the lights you probably have a bigger issue! If the check engine, oil, door, seat belt, battery etc light come on you SHOULD see it. Like all cars, these lights are off 5 seconds after you start the car unless again if you have a huge issue you are ignoring. These are Warning lights, Not running lights.
What about the white lights for the faux spinners and the fuel gauge?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
how's this for a theory .... knowing well that it isn't popular, the Elgin dash has been designated to be the standard install .... if the P4 dash is be offered as an option, it will come at some additional cost .... EM makes money off of each option ordered .... consequently, they will make more money off of a large percentage of vehicles sold while keeping the base price down

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I would actually like to see the updated rendering or photo which we are supposed to see sometime soon and which will likely be fitted in the P5/E0. My reason for wanting that to happen is not so much because I am really anxious to see it but just because it would give this thread something new to discuss instead of rehashing the same old information over and over and over and over again. :rolleyes::D

c0yote

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would actually like to see the updated rendering or photo which we are supposed to see sometime soon and which will likely be fitted in the P5/E0. My reason for wanting that to happen is not so much because I am really anxious to see it but just because it would give this thread something new to discuss instead of rehashing the same old information over and over and over and over again. :rolleyes::D
Let's hope the changes are more than just a correction to the number of doors in the "door ajar" icon and a small note at the bottom of the cluster noting the fuel door is on the right side.

Celtictat2

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Even if we do get a not so great version of the Elgin as the final dash hopefully we will get an OBD-II port so we can use a head-up display such as the Navdy. With some sort of HUD installed I don't care what the dash looks like as I won't be looking at it much anyhow.

navdy_1-620x345.jpg

navdy_2-620x461.jpg

http://www.navdy.com/
Goofyone, I agree. I pre-ordered a Navdy for my Cage back in August. I see they've extended the pre-order period and I'm debating if I should get another one for the Elio or just swap the Navdy between both vehicles. Actually I think all I'd need is a 2nd base for the Elio as the Navdy has a quick connect magnetic base.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom