• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't like road maps much, but I do enjoy topographical maps and have several hanging on the walls of my home.
That reminds me of a "Geology of the National Parks" class I took at the University of Toledo in the early 1980s. We were looking at the maps for a planned field trip to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky and also fossil hunting in that area when I asked if we should take swim suits because I thought the blue line meant there was a river. Duh! Since I was old enough to be the mother of everyone in class except the professor, they got a real kick out of that. The thing is, I should have known better. I had a lot of experienc with all kinds of maps. :p :rolleyes: :) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
our Sportchassis came with a high dollar Pioneer entertainment center/GPS built into the dash .... I have Garmin GPS mounted on the dash .... my wife keeps a Rand McNally atlas on her lap .... once in an area we have never been before I got off an interstate to go to a campground where we were gong to spend the night .... I came to a stop sign where one said go left, one said go right, the other said go straight ..o_O.. I went straight but as it turned out, all three were correct .... the road we crossed was a big oval and the campground was on where the road that went straight intersected other side of the oval ... :cool:

Jim

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Goldwing06 --- I think your question is whether the speedometer is electronic or cable driven. No definitive answer but I would think the speedometer would be driven by a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the transmission with outputs to the ECM and TCM on the automatic transmission.
well, just from looking at the pix on their web site, i can see that the cluster is electronic and is driven by a buss(rj45 connector) which is normally fed by the smec, brain, etc, etc. the smec is normally used in the control of the abs, which senses each wheels rotation by toothed pickup disks, so that it can control the breaking and power for controlling skids. this can also become incorportated with the suspension system for ride and handling control.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back on the topic of the Elgin dash...
While I'm still not a fan of the design, my biggest problem with it is information availability.
My concern is that trying to make the digital display 'spin' like there is a rotor underneath the 'boob' seems distracting and unnecessary.
Maybe they'll consider adding a toggle option to at least disable animation so the displays are simple, fixed, digital readouts (without the 'spin').
gYxz4sgl.jpg

Without the need to show the extra numbers for animation, they could make use of the extra space to make the digits a little bit bigger, and show precise numbers too.
vlZYKxvl.jpg

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
That reminds me of a "Geology of the National Parks" class I took at the University of Toledo in the early 1980s. We were looking at the maps for a planned field trip to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky and also fossil hunting in that area when I asked if we should take swim suits because I thought the blue line meant there was a river. Duh! Since I was old enough to be the mother of everyone in class except the professor, they got a real kick out of that. The thing is, I should have known better. I had a lot of experienc with all kinds of maps. :p :rolleyes: :) Z
Well... there IS a river through Mammoth Cave, which I learned when I did a tour through 12 miles of it 3 years ago.

Top Bottom