• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Do You Stand Now?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Guess we will have to 'Wait and See' where the NEXT prototype comes from! I still wonder HOW they plan to BUILD and TEST all these....... and still meet an 'early 2015' production date.

The next, P5, prototype will likely come from Technosports just like the other prototypes. Where and when the larger batch of pre-production vehicles are built then how they will be tested are all good questions. We all get to watch and learn as we are getting an interesting look at vehicle development we don't normally get from most automakers.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to where the pre-production assembly will happen however they very well could do the pre-production run in Shreveport without having to hire a bunch of workers and then lay them off. The assembly line itself and tooling will be set up by Elio suppliers not the final factory workers and it really does not matter if the line and tooling sits idle for a little bit as they will need it eventually anyway. They also would not have to set up everything as they could simulate some actions by using some pre-built sub assemblies and/or do things by hand instead of using automation. Most of the actual pre-production assembly could be done by the same engineers, suppliers, and consultants laying out the assembly process as it would help them analyze everything better.

There is nothing troublesome about the lack of assembly or prototype information right now at all as Elio Motors have already stated the next major public milestone is the P5 prototype which is expected around the time the drivetrain is supposed to be available in June. Right now the P5 is what we are waiting for and since a prototype can be built in weeks we may not even see any real news on this until June.
True, "a prototype can be built in weeks", but Elio Motors took months for the last one; and that was with trained & skilled workers from "Technosports" (that are experts in rapid prototyping). Expecting 'newly hired and trained' workers to turn out "18 to 26 prototypes" in the Shreveport Plant (while it is being re-tooled), and have them road tested, and 'crashed', any re-design and plant re-tooling....... all for an "Early 2015" production...... seems like FOLLY, IMO. Maybe now that the worthless, "Color Contest" (wasted a whole month) is over.... the weekly BLOG will finally reveal some actual INFORMATION, as to the PROGRESS that Elio Motors is making!

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
True, "a prototype can be built in weeks", but Elio Motors took months for the last one; and that was with trained & skilled workers from "Technosports" (that are experts in rapid prototyping). Expecting 'newly hired and trained' workers to turn out "18 to 26 prototypes" in the Shreveport Plant (while it is being re-tooled), and have them road tested, and 'crashed', any re-design and plant re-tooling....... all for an "Early 2015" production...... seems like FOLLY. IMO Maybe now that the worthless, "Color Contest" is over.... the weekly BLOG will finally reveal some actual INFORMATION, at to the PROGRESS that Elio Motors is making!

I don't know why you think it took months to build the P4. If you read the Elio Motors blog the P4 was all hand built by Technosports and they started working on it in December and by the middle of January it was on the road. The blog even states the build would take five weeks. This time of year must have also included some time off for the Christmas and New Years holidays.

You are the one that keeps insisting that 'newly hired and trained' employees will be building the 18 to 26 prototypes as I stated that did not have to be the case. With a partial assembly line they should be able to crank out that group of cars fairly quickly, even if quickly is one months time, and still leave them several months to test them. I will agree that the timetable is aggressive and if any major issues are found things could be pushed back however I think it is far from a folly.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True, "a prototype can be built in weeks", but Elio Motors took months for the last one; and that was with trained & skilled workers from "Technosports" (that are experts in rapid prototyping). Expecting 'newly hired and trained' workers to turn out "18 to 26 prototypes" in the Shreveport Plant (while it is being re-tooled), and have them road tested, and 'crashed', any re-design and plant re-tooling....... all for an "Early 2015" production...... seems like FOLLY, IMO. Maybe now that the worthless, "Color Contest" (wasted a whole month) is over.... the weekly BLOG will finally reveal some actual INFORMATION, as to the PROGRESS that Elio Motors is making!

Do you know out of the months you are referring to, how much time was R&D and how much time was spent actually making the P4?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WHAT?! WHAT?! What color won?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that is wishful thinking on Rogwild's part. The poll is still up. I wasn't able to access the results this time but the last time I checked Licorice and Creamsicle were within a few points of each other with licorice slightly ahead.

Will somebody please ask the spelling gurus in these machines to make up their minds on the spelling of Creamsicle. It tells me it is wrong either way! -sicle or -cicle I believe Elio spells it Creamsicle. So that is correct whether it is right or not. LOL :-) Z

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think that is wishful thinking on Rogwild's part. The poll is still up. I wasn't able to access the results this time but the last time I checked Licorice and Creamsicle were within a few points of each other with licorice slightly ahead.

Will somebody please ask the spelling gurus in these machines to make up their minds on the spelling of Creamsicle. It tells me it is wrong either way! -sicle or -cicle I believe Elio spells it Creamsicle. So that is correct whether it is right or not. LOL :) Z

Why not Creamcycle :)

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
BLACK won, not that it makes any difference to me; didn't change my color choice. AND another BLOG report 'wasted' on this foolish, meaningless 'contest'; and NO NEWS about the Elio's progress..... prototypes, IAV engine, or Plant renovation. Maybe NEXT week.... or another contest (to divert attention); 'standard vs AMT', or 'Your favorite OPTION'?????

Top Bottom