• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Do You Stand Now?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's a short explanation I found in one of the news articles covering the Elio/ Comau partnership.

Comau Powertrain Systems will be used to machine and assemble the Elio’s inline 3-cylinder, 55 horsepower engine, while Comau Body Welding Systems will design, build and install systems to assemble the vehicle’s welded space frame and apply the interior and exterior composite body panels (floorpan, bodysides, roof, doors, hood, trunk and fenders) to the frame. Elio is also considering using Comau’s After Sales team to conduct plant health assessments in order to optimize reutilization of assets, as well as Comau Robotics for specialty robotic applications throughout the assembly process.

From that article it looks like the robotics will be doing more than just assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember reading that article. It also answers some of the questions posted here such as will there be a floorpan. Looks like there will be. Thanks for reminding me of this article. :-) Z

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, it sounds like Comau will deliver completed frames, interior panels, etc. to Elio where they will be assembled on the line by people intermixed, of course with robotic assist. That's what they did at GM. They had axel assemblies near the line, frames were delivered by rail as they had a rail stub IN the factory. There were a couple of "robots" that did things like ensure the right airbag went into the right vehicle. GM also had an extensive cross body electrical harness area that continually pissed me off... I thought they would come out ahead if they used one harness - but they had one for trucks with fog lights, one for those without, there were 21 in total. The Elio should just have 2 at the most - automatic vs. manual. If there are options, the wires should just be in the harness and if not used, just capped off. With everything so light in the Elio, I don't see much reason to overly automate the plant. Fitting body panels is easy with the templates they use. the doors should be held in place robotically to ensure the right swing. Anyway, this got a little too in depth. I think they should be fully up to speed after producing the first handful. There won't be much tweaking of the assembly process. It's fairly straight forward.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember reading that article. It also answers some of the questions posted here such as will there be a floorpan. Looks like there will be. Thanks for reminding me of this article. :-) Z

Z, I believe what most are asking about in regards to a floorpan is a smooth panel that would be mounted under the vehicle to make it more aerodynamic. The mention of a floorpan in the Comau article refers to the interior floorpan. That's where the seats are mounted and the passengers put their feet.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ty, do you think they will have an in house Six Sigma black belt, or will the current big wigs get the job done?
Not sure. I know that's the current buzz word in industrial engineering but I've been out of the field since 1999. It's been a while, I guess. They'll have at least an industrial engineer balancing the line. At this point, I would think the immediate returns over what a decent industrial engineer would produce would be minimal. Obviously, it's more important to get a viable assembly line going. Besides, incremental improvements are fairly easy to implement after the line is at a steady state of production.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nice vid, went to school for industrial robotics, learn how to make them, didn’t finish.

I had an early interest in robotics back in the 80's.
I remember when Fanuc embraced them when Detroit didn't.
As mentioned before, Tesla provides a valuable template on a
variety of levels.... :)

Last edited:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There won't be much tweaking of the assembly process. It's fairly straight forward.[/quote]

As with much of Elio's plan the KISS principle is in play. That isn't to say that things aren't being well planned....... :)

Last edited:

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It seems simple, but planning a process to efficiently assemble ten thousand individual pieces has got to be more difficult than it seems. It looks simple watching a video of a complete assembly line in action, but every single movement of every single machine has to be programmed. I sure much of the programming is automated with basic specification input. Far from simple, I'm leaning more towards intricate and time consuming.

Top Bottom