• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Things Still Up In The Air ...

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've never heard of doing this with a car, but then again the Elio is not a normal car. I love it! I can see mounting a few white lights on the body, pointed toward the fenders with perhaps some reflective tape on them as well. It would certainly be easier than installing/maintaining lights attached to a vibrating fender body.
A while back, someone had the idea of giving their elio a "Tron" theme with artistic illuminating lines over the body. I was not interested in it as the time, but now I believe it may be a good idea. These illuminating lines would serve a very good purpose on the fenders, providing important visibility. Who knows: perhaps there could be an illuminating helmet to match.

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can see some ideas here:

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-p5-at-detroit-auto-show.6885/page-3#post-130160

I don't see the brake line in the P5:

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-p5-at-detroit-auto-show.6885/page-31#post-131897

pb199970-1.jpg
It appears someone has photoshopped the brake lines out of the photo. Because every one knows ya gotta have brake lines if you want the brakes to be operative! They can't stuff the brake lines inside of the A arms - the would be severed after the the first bump in the road.

Great job on the photoshop, btw.. ;)

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On production # 11346 the black portions of the fender skirts will be getting a generous application of black Scotchlite. If they can't see the orange skirts during the day I had no hope to go unscathed. I have black Scotchlite on the side bags of my Kawasaki Concours. It's nearly invisible by day but lights up a bright bluish white at night.

And it didn't screw up the sell price of the vehicle, or add complexity to the wiring harness, or mess up aerodynamics, and I didn't have to ask anyone else for permission to do it.

Rant over.

Keeping the intended sell price in mind, the battery should be an ordinary flooded lead-acid type with a capacity of around 24 ampere-hours. If a 1800cc Honda Goldwing (with electric reverse) can get by with 20 ampere-hours, we'll do just fine with 24. This will give the backyard engineers an opportunity to spend $250 on an exotic lithium iron phosphate battery and shave 0.03 seconds off of their 0-60 mph time.
Thanks.....never heard of Scotchlite before... sounds like a great alternative :)

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not completely correct.
The "to your door" delivery is supposed to be an additional cost option.
I was told, you pay the normal transportation fee (as per normal rate) and for an additional fee of $60 to $80 you can have it delivered to your door.
This way you can drive your neighbors crazy; what other car company will deliver a new car to your door?
Personally, I'm thinking of having that done; this way when they come over to get a look, it will show a low double (or single) digit number on the odometer. (Just not for very long; but long enough to do a good photo shoot).
Actually I had a custom built, wheelchair accessible van delivered to my door in Indiana from North Carolina :)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can see it quite clearly on the Port side. It's along the top... behind the front of the upper A-arm.
You have better eyes than I do because I do not see it. Can you put an arrow to it so I can see it as well? (not being controversial, just trying to see where you are talking about)

ArmMach

Reaction score
There's quite a list. I'll start with a handful, then see what you guys come up with.

1. Plastic or Metal body panels? (officially in the air, but I'll give 10 to 1 it's metal)
2. Windshield washer type
3. Formal selling price of the base car (needed before ATVM can proceed -- DOE needs this to evaluate the financial self-sufficiency of the company)
4. ATVM itself, of course.
5. Battery capacity and location

OK, over to you.
The only one I'll respond to at the moment is #1. Body Panels on the Elio must be made of some type of plastic or composite material. Several advantages and more flexibility than metal.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I can see it quite clearly on the Port side. It's along the top... behind the front of the upper A-arm.
It's not the port side in that picture; that's the right (starboard) ["passenger"] side of the car.
I had to blow it up to 500% till I could see it; yes, it is there; since the upper A-arm is a stamped part, it's hallow on the underside; that's where I think they ran it.
It appears someone has photoshopped the brake lines out of the photo. Because every one knows ya gotta have brake lines if you want the brakes to be operative! They can't stuff the brake lines inside of the A arms - the would be severed after the the first bump in the road.
Great job on the photoshop, btw.. ;)
Incorrect, it is visible, it has not been photoshopped out of the picture. I also remember that you had said it had to move; it does at the very end of it where it attaches to the spindle on the wheel, the only time it has to move there is when it's turning, it is a fixed distance between the A-arm and the spindle, so the vertical motion would have no change; it would however move at the other end of the A-arm where it pivots.

You have better eyes than I do because I do not see it. Can you put an arrow to it so I can see it as well? (not being controversial, just trying to see where you are talking about)
I'm with Grumpy........I don't see it either :)
Look for the little half loop in the area where the A-arm attaches and the axel is just below the brake line.

Top Bottom