• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Things Still Up In The Air ...

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
correct, but there is no confusion on the door side or off door side of an Elio .... unfortunately, with RV's it works most of the time but some now have doors on both sides and a few floor plans have a door in the rear wall ..:confused:
I expect that's due to having exits available in case of an accident?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm sure that could be true for some but for others it appears to be a way to be a bit different from the norm

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Correct. Except, they won't be building retail centers. It is their plan to locate in a strip mall type of area and rent space. They won't be getting into building centers... at least not for a while.
They should reconsider. Strip center prices are exorbitant after the initial discounts and terms. That's why so many have vacancies and deteriorate.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They should reconsider. Strip center prices are exorbitant after the initial discounts and terms. That's why so many have vacancies and deteriorate.

We have an almost vacant strip mall in Warrenton just off the I-70. It has about 10 acres of parking. I would give consideration to having a store.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We have an almost vacant strip mall in Warrenton just off the I-70. It has about 10 acres of parking. I would give consideration to having a store.
You'd have to do a great job negotiating the terms to avoid the pitfalls normally associated with strip centers. But perhaps they might purchase the strip center and convert them into an automotive mall/strip center using their own vehicles to attract visits and their suppliers as additional leaseholders. If the owner insists on retaining the land, you could enter into a long term lease with favorable exit provisions.

Actually, site acquisition is in my wheelhouse. But usually they were raw property for pipelines, cell towers, electric lines, fiber optic lines, substations and repeater sites.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is my understanding that Elio wants to be in areas with more foot traffic so people will be tempted. "I know I was just heading to JC Penny's to get some jeans but this Elio Turbo just fit me so well..."

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You'd have to do a great job negotiating the terms to avoid the pitfalls normally associated with strip centers. But perhaps they might purchase the strip center and convert them into an automotive mall/strip center using their own vehicles to attract visits and their suppliers as additional leaseholders. If the owner insists on retaining the land, you could enter into a long term lease with favorable exit provisions.

Actually, site acquisition is in my wheelhouse. But usually they were raw property for pipelines, cell towers, electric lines, fiber optic lines, substations and repeater sites.
The strip mall sold at auction last year. I am sure the new owner is looking for tenants. About the only stores left are Fastenal and Imo's Pizza. Ideas anyone?

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The strip mall sold at auction last year. I am sure the new owner is looking for tenants. About the only stores left are Fastenal and Imo's Pizza. Ideas anyone?
All negotiations wind up with a meeting of the minds (except for eminent domain) for at least as long as it takes to sign the agreement. The trick is living with the agreement after you've signed it.

But my statements about Strip Centers is a general one and exceptions are possible. If you're a tenant or potential tenant, you just have to be careful to be the exception rather than the rule.

My suggestion would be for Elio to either Own or Partner with someone to own the strip centers rather than leasing for purely financial reasons.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All negotiations wind up with a meeting of the minds (except for eminent domain) for at least as long as it takes to sign the agreement. The trick is living with the agreement after you've signed it.

But my statements about Strip Centers is a general one and exceptions are possible. If you're a tenant or potential tenant, you just have to be careful to be the exception rather than the rule.

My suggestion would be for Elio to either Own or Partner with someone to own the strip centers rather than leasing for purely financial reasons.
At the risk of greatly exceeding my experience (I DID own a Pizza restaurant once upon a time ago), I think Elio would do better to rent space first. They can see what works and what doesn't work as well and tweak their position as they go. It would be horrible to commit to owning a bunch of strip mall locations and find out that people won't shop for cars there. They may do better at established indoor malls with a couple of Elios parked in the parking lot, for instance. Or, they may be forced to have a presence in the local "Auto Mall" area which I'm seeing more and more lately. My horribly made point is that renting a place has limited commitment while owning could be disastrous should the rest of the strip mall suffer.

Top Bottom