• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Standard Transmission

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I TAUGHT ALL OF MY KIDS TO DRIVE A STICK AND ALL OF THEM PREFER MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS TO THIS DAY .
FOR ME , THIS IS A RIGHT OF PASSAGE .

THE FIRST KID WAS QUITE PROUD OF HIS DRIVING SKILLS
HE WANTED TO TAKE HIS DRIVING TEST WITH A MANUAL .
IT TURNED OUT POORLY EVEN THOUGH HE WAS VERY PROFICIENT AT OPERATING THE CAR .

THE TROUBLE WAS THE INSTRUCTOR WAS INCREDIBLY PICKY ABOUT THINGS LIKE WHEN TO SHIFT .
HOW LONG YOUR FOOT SHOULD BE ON THE CLUTCH AND WHEN YOU SHOULD DOWNSHIFT IN EACH GEAR .

HE FAILED MARK BECAUSE HE DIDN'T LIKE THE DRIVING STYLE OF SOMEONE WHO HAD ONLY BEEN
DRIVING A CLUTCH FOR TWO MONTHS . I DON'T THINK THEY ARE EVEN SUPPOSED TO GRADED ON THAT
PART OF IT , JUST USING YOUR BLINKERS , COMING TO A FULL STOP , RIGHT OF WAY & PROPER LANE CHANGES .

I KNOW WE PROBABLY JUST GOT A BAD INSTRUCTOR & THINGS MIGHT BE DIFFERENT AT ANOTHER OFFICE
BUT WHEN KID 2 & 3 CAME ALONG , WE USED AN AUTOMATIC JUST TO MAKE THINGS EASIER .
ONCE THEY GET THEIR LICENSE , THEY CAN DRIVE WHATEVER THE WANT .

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back about 3 years ago my 2nd oldest son borrowed my Accord EX-L 6 speed to use for his drivers license road test. After finishing the test the examiner walked over an complimented me for teaching him well. Not only an almost perfect road test but in a manual shift car was almost unheard of. He said absolutely nobody shows up for the test in a manual anymore. Personally I think it should be required but that's just me.
To get her license in New Mexico, my daughter had to take a driving class (we moved here after registration for the high school's course and had to go to a private training school). Part of their instruction was making the kids drive a manual transmission. At least here, they are still teaching it.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To get her license in New Mexico, my daughter had to take a driving class (we moved here after registration for the high school's course and had to go to a private training school). Part of their instruction was making the kids drive a manual transmission. At least here, they are still teaching it.
in New Mexico isn't it called- "A Manuel transmission"? easy p.c. police

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
just so you know, Unless improved on, the ATM tends to be jerky and lurch in traffic.

I assume you meant the AMT automatic?

I have done a good bit of research on this and from what I can find the earlier versions of the Aisin MC5 AMT automatic did suffer from the issue you mentioned however as it has been available, and been undergoing refinement, since 2002 this has not been an issue for several years now. The AMT Elio Motors has discussed using is commonly available in Europe in vehicles such as the Toyota Aygo, Citroën C1, and Peugeot 108. The biggest complaint I find about current versions of this transmission is that under heavy acceleration up-shifts can occur later than most people would want and happen slowly. This can be overcome by lifting the accelerator peddle a bit whenever you wish to shift which will cause the vehicle to up-shift. This appears to be a common trick to changing up-shifts in most single-clutch AMT's regardless of builder, is actually more of a mismatch between drivers expectations and engineers programming for desired outcomes, and is apparently something people who own these vehicles adapt to quickly.

We have a whole thread for the Elio automatic:

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/the-elio-automatic-transmission.124/

'lio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I assume you meant the AMT automatic?

I have done a good bit of research on this and from what I can find the earlier versions of the Aisin MC5 AMT automatic did suffer from the issue you mentioned however as it has been available, and been undergoing refinement, since 2002 this has not been an issue for several years now. The AMT Elio Motors has discussed using is commonly available in Europe in vehicles such as the Toyota Aygo, Citroën C1, and Peugeot 108. The biggest complaint I find about current versions of this transmission is that under heavy acceleration up-shifts can occur later than most people would want and happen slowly. This can be overcome by lifting the accelerator peddle a bit whenever you wish to shift which will cause the vehicle to up-shift. This appears to be a common trick to changing up-shifts in most single-clutch AMT's regardless of builder, is actually more of a mismatch between drivers expectations and engineers programming for desired outcomes, and is apparently something people who own these vehicles adapt to quickly.

We have a whole thread for the Elio automatic:

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/the-elio-automatic-transmission.124/

The three cars you mention (basically identical three cylinder models) have a combined mpg of 57, pretty close to what Elio is projected to get. The following video shows a Citroën C1 with Sensodrive (the 5 speed AMT) shifting between 0 to 60 mph (one liter engine + two people on board) and it seems pretty decent:

Last edited:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The three cars you mention (basically identical three cylinder models) have a combined mpg of 57, pretty close to what Elio is projected to get. The following video shows a Citroën C1 with Sensodrive (the 5 speed AMT) shifting between 0 to 60 mph (one liter engine + two people on board) and it seems pretty decent:

I hope everyone noticed that the speedometer is in kilometers per hour

Top Bottom