1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

The Elio Standard Transmission

Discussion in 'Elio Drivetrain' started by ClubJoe, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Rickb

Rickb Elio Addict

It's out there:
    image.jpeg

Those that are desparate for the fuzzy dice option could hang' em around their neck:
    image.jpeg

Kuda, Bert and RUCRAYZE like this.
  2. ClubJoe

ClubJoe Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    There just isn't anything like the feeling of up and down shifting through the gears manually.

ClubJoe
    Sunny Brandon, FL

3. Kuda

Kuda Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    'OL 2951 Bazinga!
    I suspect they might be an option.
    The Smart I drove when they first
    came over here had 'em...They
    just add cost to the base....

TCBronson, outsydthebox and RUCRAYZE like this.
  4. Smitty

Smitty Elio Enthusiast

I'm glad there is no "Power robbing slushbox" torque converter.

5. ElioDigger

ElioDigger Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Order #100019125
    the thing I do not like is the lack of shift speed control. So, under hard acceleration the shift is slow and jerky.

TCBronson likes this.
  6. Triangles

Triangles Elio Enthusiast

I wonder if the "automatic" transmission is going to be basically the same transmission as the manual one just "robotized" for those who can't drive a stick. I recently saw a show on how some modern vehicles have these electrically controlled "automatic" transmissions that are basically manual transmissions that are just computer controlled such that they drive just like a traditional slush box. I didn't realize this technology was out yet.

TCBronson likes this.
  7. Sethodine

Sethodine Elio Addict

Yup, that is exactly how the AMT (aka MMT) works. It has both the electronically-controlled "automatic" mode, plus a "manual" mode where you just shift (+) or (-) to shift up or down gears. It will also automatically downshift when you come to a stop.

It is literally the same transmission as the manual option, just with an electronically controlled clutch instead of a foot pedal.

Kuda, TCBronson and Bert like this.
  8. Triangles

Triangles Elio Enthusiast

That makes sense from a cost viewpoint. Only one transmission design. Just with 2 control options....

TCBronson likes this.
  9. RUCRAYZE

RUCRAYZE Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    7013, $100.00 all-in, $100.00 Want-in, (Long after I'm gone I'll let the kids fight it out
    A little chilly up there today?

TCBronson likes this.
  10. Ty

Ty Elio Addict

Reservation #:

It's hard to believe it's been over two years since Z was last here.
    Her posts in a year has taken me more than two years to match.
    ................................................................... I've posted ......
    .............................................................. quite a few ..........
    ...........................................................things since ..............
    ......................................................then but still ..................
    ................................................ have only now ...................
    .............................................. met the sheer .....................
    ......................................... volume of posts ........................
    ...................................... she shared with ...........................
    ................................... all of us. Some ...............................
    ............................... will never know ..................................
    ....................... the calming effect .......................................
    .................. she brought us nor ...........................................
    .............. will they get to feel ...............................................
    .......... the warmth of her ....................................................
    ...... greetings and her ..........................................................
    .. great welcomes. ................................................................
    Not all will understand why I've posted in this manner but I will not forget her.
    There will be a little of Z, or Zelio here, in every Elio that Paul will come to build.

Post 5119

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    ElioDigger, ross, bamelio#5 and 6 others like this.