• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Standard Transmission

cortsdad2

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As much as I'd like an automatic for commuting, I'm not sure one is necessary, given the trade-offs. There is a certain satisfaction in a well executed shift that lends to the enjoyment of the vehicle. With only 55/55 hp/T available, the clutch spring shouldn't be stiff at all. Given the design criteria for the vehicle, a rat-trap clutch isn't even in the cards. Until the automatic can prove that it will engage smoothly, shift seamlessly, and not cost the GDP of a small island nation, I'm going to opt for the 5-spd.
I drive a Mercedes SLK230... with a 5 speed. I understand that only about 10% of them are sticks. Driving a stick is a dying art.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back about 3 years ago my 2nd oldest son borrowed my Accord EX-L 6 speed to use for his drivers license road test. After finishing the test the examiner walked over an complimented me for teaching him well. Not only an almost perfect road test but in a manual shift car was almost unheard of. He said absolutely nobody shows up for the test in a manual anymore. Personally I think it should be required but that's just me.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back about 3 years ago my 2nd oldest son borrowed my Accord EX-L 6 speed to use for his drivers license road test. After finishing the test the examiner walked over an complimented me for teaching him well. Not only an almost perfect road test but in a manual shift car was almost unheard of. He said absolutely nobody shows up for the test in a manual anymore. Personally I think it should be required but that's just me.

I did mine in a 5spd Civic the examiner said it was the first time he did a test with a manual.

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Good story. I have a son and a daughter. I taught both of them to drive a straight stick before they left the house. Their is a small hill in town where we live, with about a 40 to 45 degree angle going uphill where at the top was a red light. Their final exam was, they had to be able to pull up to the red light, stop and take off smoothly without stalling the car. They both passed with flying colors. Stick driving is a dying art. (edit; The closest I ever came to divorce is when I tried to teach my wife to drive a straight stick:eek:)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well it's XI:LVII, time to turn in, just some (di
Good story. I have a son and a daughter. I taught both of them to drive a straight stick before they left the house. Their is a small hill in town where we live, with about a 40 to 45 degree angle going uphill where at the top was a red light. Their final exam was, they had to be able to pull up to the red light, stop and take off smoothly without stalling the car. They both passed with flying colors. Stick driving is a dying art. (edit; The closest I ever came to divorce is when I tried to teach my wife to drive a straight stick:eek:)
Back in the day, not only did most folks take their test on a stick, you were required to use hand signals for turns and stopping!!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

I will never forget my test as I think my examiner was too scared that I was going to kill us both and did not pay much attention for most of the test then just took two points off for some random reasons, as they never give perfect scores, and sent me on my way. :D

It was raining on and off that day so the conditions were slick and my dad's daily driver at the time, which he taught me to drive in, was a modified first generation Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. It was modified to produce over 250 HP (195 HP stock) however between the turbo lag and the AWD it was actually a great vehicle to use for the driving test which is performed at low speed. :cool:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My first drivers test was a total disaster.
My car failed state inspection for an exhaust system defect the two days before. (a '57 Austin Healey - 157 in overall - 4 speed)
My mothers car was in the shop for a new clutch slave cylinder. (a '59 Hillman Minx- 162 in overall - 4 speed on the column)
These were the two cars I drove the most.
I had to take the test in a '60 Plymouth Savoy. (208 in. overall - push button automatic)
You know it didn't end well. (That 51 extra inches made a big difference)
30 days later the tester got in the Healey with me. Saw I was wearing a lap belt. (hardly anyone had them in '61).
Did the stop on the hill routine, parallel parking, and the tester talked about the car during the entire test.
He even asked me what happened the last time. When I told him about the Plymouth he laughed.

Top Bottom