• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Standard Transmission

Thomas Maule

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was stuck in some bad traffic today, driving a manual... and I think I just changed my mind.... Im gonna go with the automatic lol....

I agree , I want the automatic. Besides, the engineers of the Elio have already stated numerous times the auto will get BETTER mileage than the manual.

I heard that as well, and it sealed the decision....

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was stuck in some bad traffic today, driving a manual... and I think I just changed my mind.... Im gonna go with the automatic lol....

I heard that as well, and it sealed the decision....

Help me out. Where was the traffic that bad / at what time.
I rarely get in beyond Medical Drive up by Methodist Hospital or over by Ingram Park Mall.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As much as I'd like an automatic for commuting, I'm not sure one is necessary, given the trade-offs. There is a certain satisfaction in a well executed shift that lends to the enjoyment of the vehicle. With only 55/55 hp/T available, the clutch spring shouldn't be stiff at all. Given the design criteria for the vehicle, a rat-trap clutch isn't even in the cards. Until the automatic can prove that it will engage smoothly, shift seamlessly, and not cost the GDP of a small island nation, I'm going to opt for the 5-spd.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure the single clutch AMT will do the job however I'm also sure it will not be as smooth as the slushbox automatics we're all accustomed to. The reason for dual clutch AMT and the valve body timing in a slushbox is both have the ability to be in two gears at once. Like in a 2nd to 3rd upshift for instance 3rd is starting to engage before 2nd is completely disengaged. That's the reason dual clutch AMTs have 1-3-5 on one clutch 2-4-6 on the other. That's where the smoothness comes from but also more expensive.

Top Bottom