1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

The Elio Standard Transmission

Discussion in 'Elio Drivetrain' started by ClubJoe, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Triangles

Triangles Elio Enthusiast

You mean like on a motorcyle? Not a chance of that happening. They're trying to make the elio as car like as possible. I'm just wondering if it will be a 4 or 5 speed.

TCBronson likes this.
  2. outsydthebox

outsydthebox Elio Addict

Last time I heard...5-speed

TCBronson likes this.
  3. TCBronson

TCBronson Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    I initially thought I wanted a manual for the sporty feel and being more in control, but I know there will be several friends and my own kids that would want to drive my new Elio that don't know how to drive a manual. And I don't think I can teach them from the back seat, so I will go with an automatic. It may also help with resale value IF I ever decide to upgrade to a newer Elio model, maybe one with a factory Turbo!

Bert and 3wheelin like this.
  4. 3wheelin

3wheelin Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Only way to harness that 55hp is with manual trans. I think with the automatic, it'll shift at it's own pace that on uphill climb, you may have to floor that gas pedal just to keep up with the flow! But, what do I know?:D

TCBronson likes this.
  5. slinches

slinches Elio Addict

I'm sure the shift logic will downshift appropriately on an uphill grade. What I'd be concerned it wouldn't do is downshift to minimize the need for brakes on a downhill section or downshift correctly as I approach a stop. Then there are the times when you need to balance on the clutch for a second or proactively downshift to execute a quick passing maneuver on a two lane road. There are too many situations where the gear I want is dependent on what's about to happen rather than what has just happened or is happening now. I think I prefer to just stick with the manual unless they've developed a telepathic auto-transmission.

6. ClubJoe

ClubJoe Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    I'm hoping for a nice heavy shift knob. Something in black leather like a ball shape but not small.

ClubJoe
    Sunny Brandon, FL.

Kuda likes this.
  7. Sethodine

Sethodine Elio Addict

If you go with the MMT ("automatic" transmission) then the Manual mode will allow you to up/downshift yourself. It only automatically downshifts when you come to a stop. Although I will probably end up using the Electronic shift mode for general highway cruising, I like that I'll be able to shift to Manual control for those times I want better control of the shift points. And if you really need to "coast on the clutch" so-to speak, the MMT does have a Neutral gear.

outsydthebox and Kuda like this.
  8. RUCRAYZE

RUCRAYZE Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    7013, $100.00 all-in, $100.00 Want-in, (Long after I'm gone I'll let the kids fight it out
    will it come with matching fuzzy dice??, oops, nothing to hang 'em on

9. Sethodine

Sethodine Elio Addict

But even if it doesn't come with something you like, manual shift knobs are super easy to swap out :)

10. wizard of ahs

wizard of ahs Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    SIL 18112
    Keep in mind............the "automatic" transmission is REALLY a manual that is "electrically" shifted ..... that's why I'm hoping for paddle shifters on the steering wheel :D