• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The E-series Build.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I completely agree with you on this, and your explanation is much more thorough than mine. My point was only to say that the Elio does not, and under the current testing standards cannot, have a 5-star safety rating.
I think this is an interesting area that NHTSA's probing around creating new rules could be very helpful, maybe even pave the way towards eventual CAFE credit inclusion for the Elio.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For the "cannot have a 5-star rating" thing, you could say something like:
While safety is a top priority to Elio Motors, due to its revolutionary design, no rating system currently exists that can assess the crash safety performance of the Elio. The company is currently working with the government and independent vehicle safety organizations to establish a rating system that will meet or exceed the intent of a 5-star automotive rating. The Elio itself will help set that standard and be as safe as any competing vehicle on the road in addition to being super-efficient, affordable and fun to drive.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not really sure what a 5 Star rating means any more.
Seems just recently someone wanted it to include a feature that protects idiots who walk and text from the consequences of their own stupidity. Yes, the same idiots that fall into fountains in indoor malls.
Why should I pay extra for my car because you're stupid?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not really sure what a 5 Star rating means any more.
Seems just recently someone wanted it to include a feature that protects idiots who walk and text from the consequences of their own stupidity. Yes, the same idiots that fall into fountains in indoor malls.
Why should I pay extra for my car because you're stupid?
What if you have a stupid kid, wouldn't you like them protected along with the driver they walk in front of while walking and texting or the family they crash into and kill while driving and texting while the stupid miraculously survives? I see some derived safety value to the smart people in protecting the stupid while inadvertently protecting the smart from the stupid. It seems like the smart thing to do.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For the "cannot have a 5-star rating" thing, you could say something like:
Well said!

My concern is the articles that mention the NHTSA is regulating to ban three wheel vehicles give negative exposure to EM and gives the general public a negative view of the Elio. These types of articles will not help sell more reservations or stock. The sooner EM does some crash tests and publicize the hopefully positive results the better, Just my 2 cents.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Necessity is the mother of invention, so I guess stupidity is it's drunken toothless wife-beater shirt wearing step-father.
Hey, that sticker on your lawn mower telling you not to stick your fingers under the deck when the engine's running didn't get there by accident...or did it.:rolleyes:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Their stupidity is not my responsibility.
And I don't text.
It's enough that I put my life on the line fighting their fires.
I will however put an automatic 120DB air horn in my car to protect them.
It's not my responsibility either and I don't text, but I still don't mind paying a little extra for mandatory car safety equipment if it helps to prevent someone from accidentally crashing into your designated emergency fire fighting vehicle on the way to fighting a blaze.

The horn is effective only if you see the incident about to happen. Otherwise it's a what was that bump moment.

Top Bottom