• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

Scott Berridge

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I just cam from the configurator and the color for carpet can be chosen for $78.

But get this: According to the configurator, standard is NO CARPET.

I hope the configurator is wrong, but it may not be. You would expect black to be standard at no cost but it is not. Black carpet is an option at $78.

Perhaps gray is standard. Perhaps standard is whatever good deal they got that month. I can picture in my mind someone getting their Elio. They open the door and there is the carpet: shocking pink-----shag!

There must be an error. Who would sell a vehicle these days with no carpet.
If I remember correctly, when I bought a brand new 1968 VW Beetle, carpet was not standard. it had some kind of vinyl liner. I got carpeting then for the same reason I probably will on my Elio, sound-dampening. I wonder if Weather-Tech will be making custom floor mats to fit Elio's?

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My only "issue" with EM is that by the time I get my Elio I will have had too much time to think about all the goodies I want (not need). I log around 650 hours a year commuting and that heated leather seat is starting to make my "want" list....maybe the stereo upgrade too...definitely the TPMS and tinted windows...etc...:rolleyes:
Does that mean you'll have to deal with the new cover sheets on your weekly TPMS reports?

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IF ? Maybe they are using a different seat?
I was told in Dallas that the seat in the P5 was a Mustang Seat. It was certainly comfortable and I assume that the plan is to stick with that product. I also wonder if Ford would sell wholesale to a competitor or if the pricing is based on Elio having to pay retail.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was told in Dallas that the seat in the P5 was a Mustang Seat. It was certainly comfortable and I assume that the plan is to stick with that product....

Keep in mind that the "mustang" seat isn't made by Ford. Like many of the parts for the Elio, the seat is manufactured for Ford, by a company that makes seats for a number of auto makers. I will venture a guess that (on the inside) "most" seats are basically the same. In other words..."sports car" seats the same/similar, and "luxury car" seats the same/similar. The differences will be in, (things like) mounting brackets, air bag placement and fabrics (finish).
...I also wonder if Ford would sell wholesale to a competitor or if the pricing is based on Elio having to pay retail.

Paul has said that, (traditionally) the "suppliers" only make about 10% mark-up on the parts they sell for assembly line production. EM will be paying 20%.
Ok, getting to the point...the same seat maker that sells to Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc., Also sells seats to the aftermarket. They can sell at a higher mark-up (per seat) and still sell them for less that "Ford". my 2 cents. :)

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was told in Dallas that the seat in the P5 was a Mustang Seat. It was certainly comfortable and I assume that the plan is to stick with that product. I also wonder if Ford would sell wholesale to a competitor or if the pricing is based on Elio having to pay retail.
I have no idea if Lear holds the license to that specific seat or if Ford does ... but I'm certain that an order of 250,000 per year doesn't go out at retail!

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have no idea if Lear holds the license to that specific seat or if Ford does ... but I'm certain that an order of 250,000 per year doesn't go out at retail!

Elio has been developing supplier
relationships since the beginning.
Supplier summets & ongoing
tandem development ensure
best bang for buck. We are
the direct benificiaries of this
advanced thinking & process....:cheer2:

Top Bottom