• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

Avards

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
That's the plan unless the Elio automatic can be towed in neutral

As I recall from some reading elsewhere, not all AMTs have a true "neutral" position. Some do, some don't. It depends on the design of the transmission. In the units without a neutral, the only time the engine is disconnected from the engine is when the clutch is depressed. I don't recall where I read this, and it might apply to the multi-clutch AMT.

I'm in hopes that the AMT chosen will shift better than that which I have experienced in the SMART, that it will have a true neutral, and that the vehicle will be "3-wheel down" towable.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The AMT to be used in the Elio has a true neutral position and can be flat towed on its wheels with complete safety. What it doesn't have is a parking pawl, that is there's no "park" position on the gear selector. The transmission will need to be left in low or reverse when parked. This could be a problem for those folks who really want remote starting. Not an insurmountable problem but a problem nonetheless. I don't recall any discussion on the parking brake mechanism but parking brakes that operate on disk brakes can barely hold a car in position when applied to 2 rear wheels. With only a single rear wheel the Elio may really need to be left in gear on anything other than level ground.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The AMT to be used in the Elio has a true neutral position and can be flat towed on its wheels with complete safety. What it doesn't have is a parking pawl, that is there's no "park" position on the gear selector. The transmission will need to be left in low or reverse when parked. This could be a problem for those folks who really want remote starting. Not an insurmountable problem but a problem nonetheless. I don't recall any discussion on the parking brake mechanism but parking brakes that operate on disk brakes can barely hold a car in position when applied to 2 rear wheels. With only a single rear wheel the Elio may really need to be left in gear on anything other than level ground.

Wait, I'm supposed to leave the car in gear when I park? I always put my (manual) car in neutral and engage the parking brake. I had to teach myself to drive a manual, so I'm sure I developed some bad habits. Is this one of them?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wait, I'm supposed to leave the car in gear when I park? I always put my (manual) car in neutral and engage the parking brake. I had to teach myself to drive a manual, so I'm sure I developed some bad habits. Is this one of them?
Yep. I'd say so. A non-turning engine with a direct connection to the drive wheels is a lot tougher hold than an emergency brake ... and the latter sometimes fail if the cable snaps or they're improperly adjusted.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I did not even get a survey about whether I should get a survey. But in all fairness I have not given them any money yet so I am just glad to be getting their emails. BUT... I plan on actually buying my first few shares of ELIO in the next few days, w00t! So if you guys would not mind driving the price down a bit that would be great, thanks!

You made me laugh a couple of times. Well done!

:amen::lol: :rockon:

Top Bottom