• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they're not OEM, there are already aftermarket solutions. Several LED kits are currently available, but the cheap ones tend to blow out in only a few weeks, so read the user reviews before purchase (Amazon is a good resource for this because they have such reviews posted for most of their products). Look for something in the mid-price range. To make installation simple, get a "controller" that hooks up to your ignition system, turning on the DRLs after you've started the engine and turning them off when you switch off the key. This eliminates installing a separate switch - or tying into your low beams - the DRLs are independent of your other lighting.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't remember asking that at the L.A. show, sorry. I do however see it being standard. Every vehicle I can think of comes with daytime running lights. If my faculties still serve me well it increases the vehicles safety rating, I know it is a factor for insurance rates, and may even be required by law in some areas (like CA). I will have to try and dig up proof after work.
Dodge has DRL as an option, but not as standard equipment; both my Nitro and the Magnum didn't have them.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know it's picking nits, but won't having these DLRs (no matter how small) on the front wheel covers change the air flow and lower the MPGs?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know it's picking nits, but won't having these DLRs (no matter how small) on the front wheel covers change the air flow and lower the MPGs?
Maybe mount them behind the grill?

The point is moot though, since (as somebody else mentioned) the Elio is legally a motorcycle and thus MUST have it's headlights illuminated any time the car is in motion.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering if run-flat tires might be an option for this application. Anyone have experience with them?
Or even better, Hankook's NPTs (Non-Pneumatic Tires) :D According to one of the Elio tour guys, supposedly Hankook will be producing them in Elio sizes.
awww.technologypep.com_wp_content_uploads_2015_07_Hankook_iFlex_Airless_Tire_Reviews.jpg

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering if run-flat tires might be an option for this application. Anyone have experience with them?
I've had run-flat tires on my C6 Corvette and my Infinity Q50. The original GoodYear run-flats on the 'Vette had a TERRIBLE ride. Replaced with Michelin run-flats and they rode MUCH better. The original Bridgestone run-flats that came on my Q50 rode quite nice.
It has more to do with the individual tire/brand than the "run-flat" status.
Since the Elio obviously won't have a spare, run-flats would be a good option.

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just checked the laws. Canada requires drl. California mandates the use of headlights in poor weather (while wipers are in use.) Imo it only makes sense to make them standard to cover laws like CA and future markets like Canada.

I know it's on the owner to obey the CA law but some manufacturers take it upon themselves to make it idiot proof. Ex. my 2007 Wrangler used to turn on the headlights when the wiper was turned on.

Top Bottom