• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Site Direction?

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I have been there.

Many years ago, I had an old Datsun pickup. First the brake lights went, so I added two trailer brake lights to the side of the bed near the OE brake lights and wired them up (on the brake light switch). The turn signals still worked, but I couldn't figure out why the brake lights kept blowing the fuse, so I disconnect the OE brake lights. I was never pulled over by the police, so I assume my alternative brake lights were OK. Then the high beam head lights started blowing the fuse. This was an older 4 headlight system, so I disconnected the OE high beams and added some cheap driving lights for when I needed extra light at night (low beams still worked, fine). Then the horn... you guessed it -- junkyard horn on a push button switch. Eventually rust got the better of this fine work truck (I wasn't living in the desert, then) and I had saved up enough money for a "newer" work truck.

Is there any way you can do a "work around" for your electrical issues?? I got a couple more years out of my Datsun until such time I could afford to replace it.
If you have an old Datsun Pickup truck, you are bound to have all sorts of issues. Electrical issues are not a prevalent today because we they are designed better due to technology and engineers.

As for general electrical issues, it doesn't matter if it's an EV or not. All of the things like lights, horn and other things for the 12V system age just the same. For new stuff, the major issue comes down to programming. Thus why they release cars with bugs and then need to do updates to fix those issues. As for the regular issues, get good at wiring, get the correct mechanic picks and tools to release the terminals. That makes your life way easier.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
a few weeks ago western NC was devastated by a hurricane .... we've seen several news reports where several people with electric vehicles have really been affected by extended power outages .... all of the ones I've seen so far have indicated they didn't consider such a disaster when purchasing their electric car

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
a few weeks ago western NC was devastated by a hurricane .... we've seen several news reports where several people with electric vehicles have really been affected by extended power outages .... all of the ones I've seen so far have indicated they didn't consider such a disaster when purchasing their electric car
Thats an excellent point. Keep in mind that It requires power for the gas stations to be open and to power the gas pumps. I saw fuel shortages, cars lined up at the pumps, and ICE & electric vehicles floating in water. Businesses will remain shut down for long periods of time needed to rebuild from the devastation. Restored power will be faster. Similar impacts on all owners, regardless of what they drive. I do know that when officials announced the evacuation, I would have had a full charge that would have gotten me 300 miles out of the hurricane zone and not have stopped to wait in line to top off my gas tank. I leave the house with a full charge every morning. Advantages and disadvantages to both vehicle options. My only real concern when making the decision to purchase/experience an EV was range anxiety and that proved to be a non-issue. I did consider a short term lease experience, but decided to go with all in Ownership.

Top Bottom