• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am working on American content too.

There are numbers of parts that will be made inhouse by me, but nothing that can't be easily replicated in the future in case of accident etc if for some reason I can't. I consider those bits 'Australian Made'. I intend to supply the design files for those parts openly

It is disgusting that I can't say "Australian Made" because it is owned by a private group, who charge you to use the term. Unbelievable that anyone can own a statement of fact like that ....
You can't be serious! Well, it's an Aussie build so it's Aussie made in my book. ;)

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Been very busy in the background with the business side of things, going well.

But i have also been getting some hours into the build, the new steering column is the main target at the moment, waiting for the laser shop to cut my new firewall and brackets to mount it all up proper.

Trying to make it highly adjustable to suit a wide range of people sizes.

steering F0 1.jpg

firewall 1.jpg

firewall 2.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They laser cut my new firewall and steering column brackets today, so I was mucking around with that today.

firewall 2.jpg

Firewall 4.jpg

I thought the brake master cylinder fitment might be a serious issue with engine interference and offering a cheaper, lighter version of the car without brakes, which only slow you down anyway, but I think it is less of an issue than I had feared.

Firewall 3.jpg

Firewall 5.jpg

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As you build your prototype, assuming your goal is a production vehicle in 10+ years, I recommend you implement as many FMVSS motorcycle certification requirements as possible, eliminating the time consuming changes during your certification testing process. Arcimoto’s FUV prototypes and Beta fleet went through a nightmarish 1 1/2 years of private lab certification testing and making the necessary changes needed to certify their production model.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Another thought, does it really need to be power brakes? Your stopping a small vehicle and you shouldn't need that much stopping power.
I think back to a Honda CBX (6 cylinder) and it only had manual brakes for the front and rear, you might be a little overkill.

How much do you think it will weigh when complete? You might be overkill on stopping power.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another thought, does it really need to be power brakes? Your stopping a small vehicle and you shouldn't need that much stopping power.

Just for clarity, boosters don't increase stopping power, that is a function of braking area and friction etc, all a booster does is change the pedal weight. And of course pedal weight itself is also function of master and slave cylinder sizing, and pedal pivot ratio.

The donor car pedal pressure wasn't noticeably heavy or light either way, and since it's components are being used, and that the vehicle's weight won't be dramatically different to the donor, I don't foresee any issue really, other than possibly needing a bias valve to prevent rear wheel lockup.

Top Bottom