• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Studio702.us

Reaction score
People keep asking about which engine, well still not definite yet, but the Toyota KR1-FE is sitting on top at the moment. 1.0, 3 cylinder, 70hp, super lightweight and millions sold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_KR_engine

It generally gets between 50 and 60 mpg in the small sedans it is fitted too, and top speed over 90 mph. It is the intent that an Elio style tandem should be an improvement on these figures of course.

Specs for a local car it's fitted to:

Displacement:1.0
Transmission:five-speed manual
Horsepower @ RPM:67 @ 6000
MPG(Hwy):56
Torque @ RPM:66 @ 4000
Top Speed:93.8 mph

There is a semi-automated 5 speed gearbox available for them. It is a manual gearbox, but can do everything itself, and manual operation can be selected as well. You can read more info on that in this link:

https://realworlddrive.wordpress.com/.../driving-the-byd.../
I love the ability of going manual or auto

Studio702.us

Reaction score
I cant help but wonder how dificult it would be to take a preexisting front wheel druve vehicle and cut out a section down the middle of the body and chasi behind the front engine to make it narrower for sigle row tandem seats.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
that could certainly be done but it would really be expensive .... buying the car to cut down would be the first major expense and every thing else required would add to it

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am curious if having the doors open on opposite sides make the frame weaker or stronger. I think 1 long gullwing would be a cool alternative.

It is spaceframe primarily with panels adding to the structure's rigidity. The doors will literally be hanging off, and are directly bolted to the roll cage. You could take 1, 2 or all 4 doors off (4 in it's current guise) and not affect the rigidity.

There's plenty of alternative designs, I struggle many days not to say "Hey I can do the differently", but "differently" involves bespoke designs and parts, adding not just to development costs, i.e. retail price to recover that, but later when an accident occurs, then there's also the major hassle of replacing those bespoke parts.

..... better we stick to as much "off the shelf" as possible, less cost, less hassles.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
promo_text.png

Never mind ELIO MOTORS' 84mpg claim, but if you can complete your BEX prototype costing less than their targeted $7,450 base price, not only will I be impressed, it'll be a feel good moment indeed.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
promo_text.png

Never mind ELIO MOTORS' 84mpg claim, but if you can complete your BEX prototype costing less than their targeted $7,450 base price, not only will I be impressed, it'll be a feel good moment indeed.

3wheelin, Based on EMV’s $15K SOLO and Arcimoto’s $11,900 targets, you do realize that a $7450 base model, enclosed, three wheeler, with the time it takes to prove market acceptance, set up a manufacturing plant, and tool for production scale, is impossible........or we would both be 3wheelin.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I have never posted anywhere other than my target is "Sub-$10,000", that is Elio's target price, plus 8 years of inflation. How "sub" of $10K I have no idea until I do proper costing, and that will be some time yet.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Stripped the front end today, and put the measurements into CAD to start playing with what's needed to make things work, simply and "attractive to Scottish people pricewise" of course.

Xmember 1.jpg

lower control arm.jpg

XMember 2.jpg

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
3wheelin, Based on EMV’s $15K SOLO and Arcimoto’s $11,900 targets, you do realize that a $7450 base model, enclosed, three wheeler, with the time it takes to prove market acceptance, set up a manufacturing plant, and tool for production scale, is impossible........or we would both be 3wheelin.
hey there Rickb! No, no, no I'm just referring to his total cost of building just this one prototype from start to finish using readily available parts! Proving market acceptance, set-up and build manufacturing plant and tools for production scale will come into play once the prototype is complete.
Ok, so:
EXPENSES:
1- Used donor car- $400.00
2- 4 doors -
3-

Last edited:
Top Bottom