• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just for clarity, boosters don't increase stopping power, that is a function of braking area and friction etc, all a booster does is change the pedal weight. And of course pedal weight itself is also function of master and slave cylinder sizing, and pedal pivot ratio.

The donor car pedal pressure wasn't noticeably heavy or light either way, and since it's components are being used, and that the vehicle's weight won't be dramatically different to the donor, I don't foresee any issue really, other than possibly needing a bias valve to prevent rear wheel lockup.
The more I read the more I learn from your replies. You clear up the misconception regarding the booster. On an unrelated subject, you've mentioned that you live permanently in China- were you required to be a citizen of that country? Or do you possess a dual visa- Australia and China?

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The more I read the more I learn from your replies. You clear up the misconception regarding the booster. On an unrelated subject, you've mentioned that you live permanently in China- were you required to be a citizen of that country? Or do you possess a dual visa- Australia and China?

No, it's a yearly residents and work visa. Very easy to get compared to most other Countries, but I am annoyed that I spend plenty of money around the city with various business interests here, and employ people, but it's only a year at a time. Makes you think twice about investing in something heavily when you know in 12 months they could potentially refuse you .... I am going for a green card this year, you can do that after 5 years of owning and operating your own business continuously. But you have to put a sizeable security deposit down as well, no idea why, doesn't make sense.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
No, it's a yearly residents and work visa. Very easy to get compared to most other Countries, but I am annoyed that I spend plenty of money around the city with various business interests here, and employ people, but it's only a year at a time. Makes you think twice about investing in something heavily when you know in 12 months they could potentially refuse you .... I am going for a green card this year, you can do that after 5 years of owning and operating your own business continuously. But you have to put a sizeable security deposit down as well, no idea why, doesn't make sense.
"But you have to put a sizeable security deposit down as well," so in a way, you're buying your way into the country.
Hmmm a deposit, a 5 year track record, and no guarantee that they will let you in, what a scam.
I know about the green card rules, my wife is an import, so I have been through the import laws. But it's a lot easier getting into this country .if you follow the rules.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can see that's a concern. Regarding the green card deposit, I would assume just in case you get bankrupt that deposit will go towards payment of any unpaid taxes or salaries you owe.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Everyone likes updates, including me of other blogs I follow, but the last week+ has been more about business background stuff, so pictorial updates on the car is actually limited due to meetings and travel.

I did pull out the front end late today and take lots of measurements to see what 'off the shelf parts' I can utilise.

front end 1.jpg

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Everyone likes updates, including me of other blogs I follow, but the last week+ has been more about business background stuff, so pictorial updates on the car is actually limited due to meetings and travel.

I did pull out the front end late today and take lots of measurements to see what 'off the shelf parts' I can utilise.

View attachment 24636
You gotta do what you gotta do and we appreciate whatever pictures and hopefully time-laps video of your build from scratch to finish! You show 'em ELIO MOTORS how to build a proper 3wheeler without wasting 190 millions! That makes me feel good. :whoo:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

did that front end come off of the Toyota you purchased a while back ..? .. do you have a distance between the front tires in mind for your trike ..?.. if so, how does that distance relate to that of the Yota ..?

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
did that front end come off of the Toyota you purchased a while back ..? .. do you have a distance between the front tires in mind for your trike ..?.. if so, how does that distance relate to that of the Yota ..?

Yeah I'm thinking about 1550 to 1600mm/61 to 63" is a good all round compromise, will depend on what CV shafts I can obtain easily.

The Toyota is 1420mm/56".

The Elio I felt was a little too wide at 1700mm/67", starts to lose the advantages of parking, storage and nimbleness in city driving.

The Vanderhall is 1500mm/59"

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah I'm thinking about 1550 to 1600mm/61 to 63" is a good all round compromise, will depend on what CV shafts I can obtain easily.

The Toyota is 1420mm/56".

The Elio I felt was a little too wide at 1700mm/67", starts to lose the advantages of parking, storage and nimbleness in city driving.

The Vanderhall is 1500mm/59"

sounds reasonable .... stability while cornering at highway speeds will be interesting .... it should have a low center of gravity which will help with that

Studio702.us

Reaction score
I am curiouse if haveing thevdoirs open on opposite sides make the frame weaker or stronger. I think 1 long gullwing would be a cool alternative. Sort of like the bubble top on the meserschmitt but not literally a plastic bubble.

Top Bottom