• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. Less complicated, fewer parts, and with the trend towards EVs expanding market demand by the time it ever makes it to production. It could turn out to be a cool kit three wheeler for those that prefer an ICE. I’ve been driving my first EV for about 6 months and unless something dramatic happens.......I’m sold on the EV based on it’s performance and handling.....and won’t go back. I’ve never owned a vehicle so quick off the line and scary top speed. Haven’t missed the stops for COSTCO gas.
Question for you tho: When your battery won't take or hold a charge what do you do with it? Or what do they do with the old batteries? Can't just throw them away, can't recycle them, so what happens to them? They do have a charge life. And what's the cost for a new battery? This is a real question.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
BTW, did we ever post this comparable project by Jack Murray?
Ok as an EV not completely the same. But it is a chopped body.
But why use up a 240z for this? Maybe it was a dead 240z, ya hope?
(is this a 240z body donor as claimed?)
IndyOne_Ev.jpg
He has adapted a Prius Hybrid to flat out EV Drive.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Question for you tho: When your battery won't take or hold a charge what do you do with it? Or what do they do with the old batteries? Can't just throw them away, can't recycle them, so what happens to them? They do have a charge life. And what's the cost for a new battery? This is a real question.

It is the real question with some answers below. 17-20 year life expectancy, $3000-7000 replacement cost, 60% of the component parts are recyclable. I talked with a neighbor that has owned his EV for 5 years (older battery tech) and he said the battery has only degraded about 6%.
62C11D48-7CF8-4F54-B414-DA9179DC3563.jpeg

38C15F34-71AB-4477-8427-EF3EEBF1FD23.jpeg

FEBC3AAB-D3A7-4782-B628-A4DD969AABC7.jpeg

Gas, routine maintenance, and repairs over the life of an ICE are likely higher cost than an EV when comparing the total cost to operate. Time will tell. I’ve been fascinated by EVs for a long time, but had range anxiety up until the 300+ mile range and fast charging capability. It may turn out to be the best car I’ve ever owned or my worst nightmare. So far so good. Note: The cost to replace the Arcimoto FUV smaller battery Pack $2500-3000.

Last edited:

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score

A Canadian company I have invested in, First Cobalt (FTSSF on OTC) is in the process of starting up their cobalt refinery. They are also working on recycling old batteries. Someone else will tear down the batteries leaving what they call "black mass". They will then run this though a part of the refinery to recover the metals.

Read about them here: https://www.firstcobalt.com/

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
......I’m sold on the EV based on it’s performance and handling.....and won’t go back.

I have stated quite clearly that I have owned 6 EVs over the last 6 years, just having bought one, and still own 3 right now. I have over 200,000kms in them, I am acutely aware of their advantages, disadvantages, and all the information and disinformation surrounding them.

I love EVs, but I am not building this 'Elio alternate' for me, I am building it for whoever of the 65,000 Elio clients that are left still seeking such a vehicle, who were interested in a cheap, economical, ICE* vehicle, so that's what's being developed, no ifs or buts.

*ICE = Internal Combustion Engine.

If, and only "if", the ICE version is ever successful, then I will turn my mind to an EV version, but is moot at this time, as an EV cannot be developed or priced in accordance with many Elio Client's desired target of a sub $10K vehicle (2021 values).

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The above is music to my ears. EXACTLY what I hope happens. Keep at it Mark!

For every older person, that their needs change - (like their commutes have been cut out...) there are younger people realizing what a vehicle like this can do for them.... like my son.

When he gets a promotion in the near future - he will be driving a distance each day. He once scoffed at the Elio concept. Not any more... your vehicle would be ideal for his upcoming daily drive. A sensible, safe and economical means to go to work and then back home. Wear it out - not his loaded Wrangler.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
completely agree .... Mark has clearly and repeatedly stated his focus for this project .... ICE version will be developed first and WHEN it is successful, he may turn turn his mind to an EV version .... that is a vision I hope we will all support and get away from EV discussions in this thread .... anyone who can't do so should start their own thread and develop the EV of their choice.... I hope that is clear enough

Jim

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have stated quite clearly that I have owned 6 EVs over the last 6 years, just having bought one, and still own 3 right now. I have over 200,000kms in them, I am acutely aware of their advantages, disadvantages, and all the information and disinformation surrounding them.

I love EVs, but I am not building this 'Elio alternate' for me, I am building it for whoever of the 65,000 Elio clients that are left still seeking such a vehicle, who were interested in a cheap, economical, ICE* vehicle, so that's what's being developed, no ifs or buts.

*ICE = Internal Combustion Engine.

If, and only "if", the ICE version is ever successful, then I will turn my mind to an EV version, but is moot at this time, as an EV cannot be developed or priced in accordance with many Elio Client's desired target of a sub $10K vehicle (2021 values).
I respect your mission statement, passion, design, engineering, and fabrication talent, “but” the majority of the 65,000 former Elio clients were old, cheap, and have moved on. It’s impossible to bring a cheap <$15K, EMVSS certified three wheeler with Elio’s imaginary specs using 100% off the shelf parts to the production finish line. The prototype will be yours to use as a daily driver when it’s complete. I’m looking forward to your 1st test drive YouTube video. Heck, I can’t even get the doors I require to take delivery on my Elio alternative, the $19,900 production model FUV (target price $11,900, but only after production scale kicks in) that I ordered back on March 2019 that included doors. Apparently there was no off the shelf hinges, latches, door frame or door body panels available. Fun to watch your progress and good luck on your mission.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As of Yesterday;

Don't panic about the delay Guys, I have been trying to work out a simpler, cheaper design method for suspension production using a different spindle (also called 'upright' or 'steering knuckle', depending on Country), and it didn't work out

Was completely my fault as I counted the number of drive splines on the CV outer joint to the hub splines 3 days ago, same number, 21 teeth, great, grabbed some used spindles complete with with hubs 2 days ago, then discovered yesterday that the spline number was indeed the same, but the diameter was one lousy millimeter different (0.040"), I couldn't believe it. My bad, I should have been more careful in my initial checking.

As of today;

I might be ok after all. The new spindles (also called 'uprights' or 'steering knuckles') I desire to use were disappointing, re; the mistake I made with the CV shaft spline diameter.

So after staring at them for a few minutes this morning, I realised the wheel hubs themselves looked similar, and pressed both sets apart. They are almost identical in dimensions, other than the donor car hub's shaft boss is 2mm/0.080" larger diameter (where it's pressed into the wheel hub bearing).

So around the corner to my lathe guy, and he promptly took the 2mm off for me, see red arrows in before/after picture. Took a whole 5 minutes.

Ran out of time tonight to see if it will work, but I'll know in the morning if it fits into the new spindles
1f642.png

hubs 1.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ahhhh, it didn't work again. The modified wheel hubs I mean.

The donor car driveshafts had interference with the other spindles I am trying. I could make them work, but it would require way too much manual labour modifying each assembly, complicating resource, and moves away from simplicity.

However,
someone suggested that the answer was likely staring at me in the face, and today I 'seen it', so will give that a try tomorrow.

Hard to explain what I am trying to achieve, but it does fall under keeping it 'cheap and simple' for production.

In the meantime, here's a picture of a cute baby elephant ...

twistedsifter.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_05_adorable_baby_elephant_1.jpg

Top Bottom