• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Luggage Trailer

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Put two pivots in a row... one pivots up and down only and the other pivots left and right only... Should work.

Yes! Basically a "universal joint". :) This allows it to "lean" with the bike.

cd17e28565c2f7ef09037917938a6f7d.jpg

Last edited:

Don Rayment

Elio Fan
Reaction score
In the case of braking in a turn? Yes, very much so. The worst case is of course, after a fast straight, a blind turn down-hill, humped for water-run-off, and just a bit of gravel on the road. Brakes on the trailer would even help there.

Other than the expense, I can't think of anywhere they would hurt. OK sometimes the things overheat braking downhill for a few miles with a full load. And they do modify your feeling of over/under steering a bit. In this case bringing you back to more understeering than no brakes on the trailer.

Maybe if you are on 100% gravel and you lock up the trailer brakes, then you got an issue. But I can't say you would have been better off with-out the brakes, possibly triggering that jack-knife. Nothing can help you when exceeding all measure of limits.
It doesn't seem to make any sense to not have brakes on the trailer, since you put it that way. Any additional stability is a good thing either going down a hill or braking quickly in average conditions.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
this is a good size trailer.
custom-n-line-motorcycle-trailer.png

The motorcycle wheel and tire looks good but would be costly to replace every 8-10K miles. I will use a standard trailer wheel/tire & probably "close it in" similar to the Elio wheel fairings.
At that size, one or two wheel, I wouldn't worry on the trailer brakes. Unless it's packed with iron-ore or something super heavy.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm not an artist, automotive engineer, aerodynamicist, or anything else that would in any way qualify me to know anything about how this sort of thing would be built, perform, cost or integrate with the Elio. :) Just thought I'd goof around with the idea see what happens.

HERE IN NC , A TRAILER NEEDS REGISTRATION BUT A TOWED APPLIANCE DOES NOT .

THAT BEING SAID , YOU COULD MAKE A TRAVEL TRAILER THAT LOOKS LIKE A SMALL
CONSTRUCTION SITE WELDER BUT IS REALLY JUST AN EMPTY BOX , FULL OF LUGGAGE OR CAMPING STUFF .

YOUR CONCEPT WOULD PROBABLY WORK FINE IF YOU PUT THE RIGHT STICKERS ON IT .

6399.jpg

Top Bottom