• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Luggage Trailer

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Why not do a thread on the build.
Once the Elio's start rolling on the street, this forum will do some drastic changes; it will go from speculation on everything Elio to Operational Elio's
I plan on doing DIY video of the different things I do to mine; I'm sure many others will do the same; along with road trips, and runs, and car shows.
So build section would fit right in.

John-b-gone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why not do a thread on the build.
Once the Elio's start rolling on the street, this forum will do some drastic changes; it will go from speculation on everything Elio to Operational Elio's
I plan on doing DIY video of the different things I do to mine; I'm sure many others will do the same; along with road trips, and runs, and car shows.
So build section would fit right in.
We can start threads like " What did you do on your Elio today"

Danny Williams

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I did a drawing; I'll uploaded a little later today. However, I think the 5-wheel layout of such a configuration would operate fundementally differently than a 6-legged insect. Upon studying the drawing, I came to the conclusion that the rear wheel would be taking on a lot of weight. I don't think I'd want to tow anything larger than a coffin behind an Elio.

Goldwings have no problems pulling quite a variety of trailers and campers.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True they have > than 110 HP but that has nothing to do with weight on the rear wheel.

Harley's drag trailers too and they aren't exactly overpowered.

Before you consider the power alone you need to consider the weight distribution.
You also need to consider the impact of adding more weight to the rear wheel.
(Or taking weight off the rear wheel if you pack the trailer the wrong way?)
Keep in mind that both the Harley and Goldwing are rear wheel drive.
The Elio is front wheel drive.
How does rear wheel drive v. front wheel drive impact the handling of the vehicle?
How does it impact the braking? Going up hill? Going down hill?

Danny Williams

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Great points! I have seen Can Am Spyders dragging trailers. I'll have to ask them when I run into one. Certainly should be researched though. I don't plan on it myself because of the negative gas mileage effects. It will be tried by many though eventually due to the space limitation and the results should be interesting. I foresee a line of that stuff being developed by marketers. It will be a lot of fun to experience the evolution of all the stuff related to elios. Nice retirement hobby after the motorcycling days are over.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great points! I have seen Can Am Spyders dragging trailers. I'll have to ask them when I run into one. Certainly should be researched though. I don't plan on it myself because of the negative gas mileage effects. It will be tried by many though eventually due to the space limitation and the results should be interesting. I foresee a line of that stuff being developed by marketers. It will be a lot of fun to experience the evolution of all the stuff related to elios. Nice retirement hobby after the motorcycling days are over.

I thought the Coss's sketch of the "Bussel" saddle bag on the rear of the Elio was one of the most practical applications for some additional temporary storage space. When I find it again I will post it. Someone may want to build saddlebags.

Danny Williams

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I thought the Coss's sketch of the "Bussel" saddle bag on the rear of the Elio was one of the most practical applications for some additional temporary storage space. When I find it again I will post it. Someone may want to build saddlebags.

That sounds like an interesting approach or some sort of aerodynamic roof rack. Thanks.

Top Bottom