• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Luggage Trailer

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm not an artist, automotive engineer, aerodynamicist, or anything else that would in any way qualify me to know anything about how this sort of thing would be built, perform, cost or integrate with the Elio. :) Just thought I'd goof around with the idea see what happens.

This idea has been bouncing around my head for while so I finally got a large-ish picture printed out and did some scribbling. A luggage trailer styled like the Elio, shaped so it complements the aerodynamics of the Elio and could hold say 3 carry-on sized pieces of luggage. The idea here is if my wife and I wanted to do a road trip anywhere we'd need to bring 2 or 3 bags along with us. No chance of that inside the Elio itself.

After looking at my scribbling it would probably need a bigger gap between the rear of the car and the leading edge of the trailer. I would think that keeping that space to a minimum would help with air flow.

The axel might need to be centered better on the trailer (front to back) so the bulk of the cargo weight could be carried by the trailer much more than the hitch and the Elio's rear suspension.

I used the Elio's rear tire to roughly sketch that, maybe that tire could be much smaller to save interior space in the trailer.

I've seen plenty of motorcycles hauling a small luggage trailer but it would be really nice if Elio would give this project to their engineers after production is in full swing so we get something that is styled and manufactured to be nicely integrated with the Elio.

image.jpeg

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
i like this... unfortunately EM has said that putting a trailer on would void the warranty. I hope they change their mind. it seems sturdy enough for a little trailer like this, and I would get one.
I heard something different when I asked Elio. They haven't determined (yet) the towing capacity of the Elio.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
i like this... unfortunately EM has said that putting a trailer on would void the warranty. I hope they change their mind. it seems sturdy enough for a little trailer like this, and I would get one.

I have no doubt the Elio will be sturdy enough, since the suspension and trans are already being used on heavier vehicles. I am not surprised that they don't want to be held accountable for "lack of good judgement" ...because, that will happen.

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm not an artist, automotive engineer, aerodynamicist, or anything else that would in any way qualify me to know anything about how this sort of thing would be built, perform, cost or integrate with the Elio. :) Just thought I'd goof around with the idea see what happens.

This idea has been bouncing around my head for while so I finally got a large-ish picture printed out and did some scribbling. A luggage trailer styled like the Elio, shaped so it complements the aerodynamics of the Elio and could hold say 3 carry-on sized pieces of luggage. The idea here is if my wife and I wanted to do a road trip anywhere we'd need to bring 2 or 3 bags along with us. No chance of that inside the Elio itself.

After looking at my scribbling it would probably need a bigger gap between the rear of the car and the leading edge of the trailer. I would think that keeping that space to a minimum would help with air flow.

The axel might need to be centered better on the trailer (front to back) so the bulk of the cargo weight could be carried by the trailer much more than the hitch and the Elio's rear suspension.

I used the Elio's rear tire to roughly sketch that, maybe that tire could be much smaller to save interior space in the trailer.

I've seen plenty of motorcycles hauling a small luggage trailer but it would be really nice if Elio would give this project to their engineers after production is in full swing so we get something that is styled and

Check out this post of mine with my Bushtec trailer behind my Harley... It will be very doable I'm thinking!
Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Take into account, the motor in the Elio is 55hp
With the Elio weighing 1400lbs (full gas tank and all other fluids) 2 passengers (figure 200lbs as average)
Right there is 1,800lbs + gear
That trailer better be a featherweight if you plan on doing any hills at a decent speed.

How many HP is the Harley compared to total weight?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

I've seen plenty of motorcycles hauling a small luggage trailer but it would be really nice if Elio would give this project to their engineers after production is in full swing so we get something that is styled and manufactured to be nicely integrated with the Elio.

View attachment 9274
I know you did a disclaimer at the beginning; but you might want to do this; get the measurements for the Elio (they're on the EM page) and do the dimensions for your drawing. Then go out to your garage or driveway and chalk it out (I do this myself, but I use tape)
I think you may have an easier time imagining how big your trailer would be.
When I laid out the Elio in my garage, I was really surprised at how much space it's really going to need.

It just gives you a real look at how projects start on the ground floor (yes, pun intended)

Top Bottom