• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Geo Metro/ Canadian Swift Engine

Who else would like to see the Geo Metro 3 cylinder rather than some exotic junky Eurupean motor

• I would choose the Geo Metro engine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can envision a pure electric vehicle hooking up a small trailer that has an Elio engine/generator for road trips. Alcohol, LP gas, hydrogen, but NO petrol of course.
Well, if you wanted a candidate donor vehicle to demonstrate such a system, there isn't a more cost effective platform than an Elio. Used cars might cost less than a new Elio but the drive/battery components would cost a lot more.

4950cycle

Elio Fan
Reaction score
What have you heard that makes the motor seem hard to maintain or expensive? Assuming you mean more than just oil changes. Are you referring to major maintenance like timing chain replacement and head work? If so, I would not think it would be any more expensive than any other car that comes out with a new motor. If Elio plans on putting out 250,000 per year, then there will certainly be tons of parts available for repairs too in no time.

This is not intended to be a low volume high cost production.
I have not heard anything to indicate it is problematic. I was just thinking , In my lifetime "everything" is harder to do the work as you specified than a metro drivetrain "BUT" If it is a double overhead cam variable valve timing 3 cylinder which it looks like to me. That does sound enticing !.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have not heard anything to indicate it is problematic. I was just thinking , In my lifetime "everything" is harder to do the work as you specified than a metro drivetrain "BUT" If it is a double overhead cam variable valve timing 3 cylinder which it looks like to me. That does sound enticing !.
It's a single OHC with a dual profile. No new technology, even the dual feature isn't truly new, just all the best of current adjustments and designs for the purpose. It's like a G10 but with the desired (existing) advancements since the G10 was designed.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's a single OHC with a dual profile. No new technology, even the dual feature isn't truly new, just all the best of current adjustments and designs for the purpose. It's like a G10 but with the desired (existing) advancements since the G10 was designed.

Yup, a 0.9 liter, EFI version of the G10 with a 12:1 compression ratio and longer stroke :D

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
terminology makes a considerable difference so just to be clear, $6,800 is EM's target price, not a promised price .... the last time I heard, they were down to $7,300/$7,500 and still working on it .... they have added cruise control as a standard feature so that has to add something .... its pretty universal that car companies have produced vehicles that sell well and some that don't .... as to a newly designed engine = business as usual for a car company, EM is the the first start-up vehicle company to build an engine from the ground up in more than 60 years .... I have no clue how complex it will be to work on the IAV motor, time will tell
Thanks, JE Bar. I have been absent from the forum for some time and was pleased to read your comment about cruise control being standard.

Top Bottom