• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Geo Metro/ Canadian Swift Engine

Who else would like to see the Geo Metro 3 cylinder rather than some exotic junky Eurupean motor

• I would choose the Geo Metro engine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The biggest issue really is that the Geo/Swift engine is no longer in production. And that was the main reason that EM decided to design their own motor: they didn't want to be beholden to another auto manufacturer's supply of crate engines.

Could EM have aquired the licensing to produce a replica of the Geo Metro engine? Sure. That would mean they are paying money for the privilage of building a decade's old motor that was designed for a 2200lb, 4-wheel econocar.

Instead, by designing their own engine, EM gets:
  • Control over their own supply chain, ensuring availability of the engine for all their production needs
  • The ability to tailor the engine's features specifically for their car.
  • A secondary income stream by licensing the engine to other manufacturers around the world.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what other applications the Elio Engine can be put towards--in particular I am looking forward to possible Light Aircraft applications. The Metro engine saw a number of aircraft builds, and theoretically the longer stroke and low-end torque of the Elio engine would make it an even better option for an aircraft application.

I think little side by sides would be ideal. Most currant si

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At least the OP should be happy that the Elio will cost so much less than the Metro that an engine replacement or two won't be a big deal! In 1990, a Metro sold for about $7,000. Corrected for inflation, that would be about $13,500 in today's dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XanWolf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
As for me, I am going to have to just have some faith that EM will make the sweet spot in all of the conflicting variables. I think it would be pretty sweet to have an external combustion engine; but I imagine that it would be too unconventional for most.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think given the content of this thread, a side-by-side of Elios with the IAV and Metro engines is inevitable. It might even be done by one of the mainstream gearhead magazines

I'm wondering how that will happen. There are only three Elio /Metro vehicles. P2, P3, and P4. Somehow I don't think Elio will loan out the prototypes for that purpose.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I mean, clearly the engine compartment for the Elio is of a size and shape that it can accept an unmodified Metro/Swift engine. Take 2 production Elios, swap out the IAV engine on one with a Metro/Swift engine, and run a comparison.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I mean, clearly the engine compartment for the Elio is of a size and shape that it can accept an unmodified Metro/Swift engine. Take 2 production Elios, swap out the IAV engine on one with a Metro/Swift engine, and run a comparison.

If someone were to do that, it would have to be a third party since it makes no sense for Elio to do it. If the Metro motor proves as good or better I highly doubt Elio will scrap the IAV motor and try to get the rights and tooling to make new Metro motors. And if the IAV proves better then they just get the ability to say their new design is working as intended. They can say that anyway without spending the money for the comparison once they hit their MPG target.

But I am not seeing the point as to why someone would want to go through that trouble? If the Metro motor proves usable there is still the fact that it is no longer made and someone else owns the rights.

Why not also use try a Smart 1.0L 3 cylinder? It is currently being made at least. I love the Smart conversions that use motorcycle motors, that would be neat to try on an Elio too. The Hayabusa motor makes 197 HP and 102 lb ft of torque! That is before a turbo :) Unfortunately they usually do not have a reverse gear, but I bet you could do that with an electric motor on the rear wheel that you engage separately that acts only as a low speed reverse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom