• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Geo Metro/ Canadian Swift Engine

Who else would like to see the Geo Metro 3 cylinder rather than some exotic junky Eurupean motor

• I would choose the Geo Metro engine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

4950cycle

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'm new here and no, I do not have an Elio reserved yet .But , I really wish Elio would use the proven E 10 engine I believe ? (Geo Metro / Suzuki Swift engine) . A more solid, dependable motor can not be had. I have ran these engines for 20 + years now and can't be more impressed. I was disappointed when I saw Chris Fix test driving a Creamcicle Elio on Utube with a Geo Metro 3 cylinder engine installed only to find out Elio did not plan on using the Metro power plant in their actual car when introduced to the public in mid 2016.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
EM's testing demonstrated that the Geo motor wasn't capable of delivering the speed and mileage to meet or exceed their specs .... do a bit of research on this forum and you will find lengthy threads about the motor IAV developed for EM .... also there is a wealth of info available on EM's website

4950cycle

Elio Fan
Reaction score
My research is in my life experience and knowledge attained in it. I can get 38 mpg on this junk fuel everyday in my 205,000 mile Metro ( Motors never been opened ). I saw a guy redesign the cab of a Metro to a fuslodge like cab like the Eleo . He got 65 mpg hwy. And could hypermill and get 70 + MPG. I got 43 Hwy in my regular Metro before they degraded the gasoline here in the states , or at least the south east. I can go 85 mph top speed any day of the week in said Geo. That means my half worn out motor would push the Eleo 100 mph I'm sure with its superior aerodynamics and 1200 lbs compared to my 4 wheel 2200 lbs. Metro . And I bet it would deliver 80 + MPG. or a real world 70 mpg with a fresh efficient motor. And a test drive by a utube automotive celeb. Chris Fix said the Metro powered Eleo he was driving accelerated quite satisfactory to his surprise. No, The reason they don't want you to have a Metro 3 in an Eleo is You would never need another Elio, or mechanic after that . I would rather get 65 + MPG hwy and 40 mpg city in any situation and have a car that goes and goes and goes with typical maint. And I could do my own wrenching any day on a car like that . Just my life experience speaking

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A better choice than the Geo, would be a Insight G1 without the IMA stuff.
Very efficient, easy to maintain the engine fluids, etc. and GREAT mileage.
(But I'm bias. Over 376K miles and lifetime average of 58 mpg., 50 mpg at 80 mph.)
To give Geo credit, I am using one of their turbos.)

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My research is in my life experience and knowledge attained in it. I can get 38 mpg on this junk fuel everyday in my 205,000 mile Metro ( Motors never been opened ). I saw a guy redesign the cab of a Metro to a fuslodge like cab like the Eleo . He got 65 mpg hwy. And could hypermill and get 70 + MPG. I got 43 Hwy in my regular Metro before they degraded the gasoline here in the states , or at least the south east. I can go 85 mph top speed any day of the week in said Geo. That means my half worn out motor would push the Eleo 100 mph I'm sure with its superior aerodynamics and 1200 lbs compared to my 4 wheel 2200 lbs. Metro . And I bet it would deliver 80 + MPG. or a real world 70 mpg with a fresh efficient motor. And a test drive by a utube automotive celeb. Chris Fix said the Metro powered Eleo he was driving accelerated quite satisfactory to his surprise. No, The reason they don't want you to have a Metro 3 in an Eleo is You would never need another Elio, or mechanic after that . I would rather get 65 + MPG hwy and 40 mpg city in any situation and have a car that goes and goes and goes with typical maint. And I could do my own wrenching any day on a car like that . Just my life experience speaking
This sounds like a wonderful thing to do when you get your Elio and time in a shop. I'll stick to the Elio engine myself since I'm not a gear-head and the thought of actually doing my own repairs, much less modification, is amusing.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've replaced an exhaust valve in a Geo Tracker and while easy, it was a task that should have never come up. The little Geo Metro 3 cylinder would probably be fine in the Elio but it wasn't a good fit. It gets about the same torque and horsepower but here's the tricky part. They don't make them any longer. The Elio motor will be just as easy to work on and probably will last just as long. There isn't anything exotic about the Elio engine that would indicate otherwise.

Your poll is not exactly neutral.

In your Elio, would you rather
A.
Have a fuel efficient, purpose-built engine by an American car company designed to power the Elio while optimizing fuel economy and will be produced in America by Americans
B. An unAmerican engine(designed by Suzuki and built in Japan/Canada) that is just as complex that is no longer made by a company that the American Taxpayers had to bail out when the company began to fail that was discontinued 13 years ago.
C. A colonoscopy

Hmm. I'm going with A.

:rolleyes:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The biggest issue really is that the Geo/Swift engine is no longer in production. And that was the main reason that EM decided to design their own motor: they didn't want to be beholden to another auto manufacturer's supply of crate engines.

Could EM have aquired the licensing to produce a replica of the Geo Metro engine? Sure. That would mean they are paying money for the privilage of building a decade's old motor that was designed for a 2200lb, 4-wheel econocar.

Instead, by designing their own engine, EM gets:
  • Control over their own supply chain, ensuring availability of the engine for all their production needs
  • The ability to tailor the engine's features specifically for their car.
  • A secondary income stream by licensing the engine to other manufacturers around the world.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what other applications the Elio Engine can be put towards--in particular I am looking forward to possible Light Aircraft applications. The Metro engine saw a number of aircraft builds, and theoretically the longer stroke and low-end torque of the Elio engine would make it an even better option for an aircraft application.

4950cycle

Elio Fan
Reaction score
And how much do all the nay sayers bet that EM will totally abandon their promised price point of $ 6800 . And I'll even give them another $1500 US. I'm telling you now, A newly designed engine = business as usual for a car company. And insurance you won't have something that won't be very difficult to trouble shoot. Mark my words . I will eat dirt if I'm wrong and hope to God I am. Now argue that ! lol PS The only reason Suzuki didn't do well here in the US is because almost everyone here has the "I am King and deserve the best" affliction. Most of us want to drive Huge Dodge Rams and Im so cool Charger Hellcats, That's why . A bunch of self absorbed idiots I say. That is why a car company that makes common sense has a hard time doing business in the US. Cars have become Jewelry not something that has to make some good sense.

4950cycle

Elio Fan
Reaction score
And how much do all the nay sayers bet that EM will totally abandon their promised price point of $ 6800 . And I'll even give them another $1500 US. I'm telling you now, A newly designed engine = business as usual for a car company. And insurance you won't have something that won't be very difficult to trouble shoot. Mark my words . I will eat dirt if I'm wrong and hope to God I am. Now argue that ! lol PS The only reason Suzuki didn't do well here in the US is because almost everyone here has the "I am King and deserve the best" affliction. Most of us want to drive Huge Dodge Rams and Im so cool Charger Hellcats, That's why . A bunch of self absorbed idiots I say. That is why a car company that makes common sense has a hard time doing business in the US. Cars have become Jewelry not something that has to make some good sense.
Oh, And lets not forget being able to control and price drivetrain replacement parts. I would never need another expensive part if EM utilized the Metro 3 engine

Top Bottom